Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Empathy vs. Sympathy

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Tue, May 16, 06 at 9:51

What's the difference between the two? Do they go hand in hand, or can you be one without the other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Empathy vs. Sympathy

Empathy is the projection of your personality into someone else's in order to understand the situation better. It's basically thinking "If I was in your shoes, how would I feel?" Sympathy is feeling the same as another person. They do not always go hand in hand.

For example, if you had a friend who was gambled her and her spouse's life savings away, and he got angry and left her, you might try to put yourself into her situation to better understand and comfort her. However, she may not believe that her husband should have left her, and you may think she got what she deserved, so you don't sympathize with her. Dramatic example, but you see the point. You could also sympathize with someone without empathizing with them. Say a friend lost someone close in a car accident. You would also feel very sad for your friend, without having to imagine the death of your loved one.

Sympathy and empathy could go together. If your (increasingly unfortunate) friend lost her job you may both sympathize and empathize with her.

Hope that was a little clear.

o

Last time I was at the book store I noticed they had a vast selection of dictionaries. As do libraries.

o

What a brilliant example Meghane, well done.

Do you think we are all capable of empathy ?

Do we have to learn empathy ?

I have noticed that some people are more empathetic than others, in fact I am so inclinded..it drives me insane sometimes, because I can feel how everyone else feels. Even on the news, those terrible stories of war. I sit there and cry, sometimes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here