SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naari_gw

Love lust or just infatuation

naari
11 years ago

Hi,

This is Naari. I'm married for last 8 years. I'm a mother too. The confusion of my lfe is my strained relationship with my husband. Ours was a love maariage. But love seems to have ended in my marriage. My husband is not exactly a drunkard but whenever he drinks he gets on to my nerves, become intolerant & i just hate him then. He always takes me me for granted & uses me as if i'm an object. He works in night shifts. We don't see each other & hardly talk face to face or over the phone, through out the week. He's just concerned about his looks. He has only 20-30% existence in the life of our baby. And, in my life he hardly exists. He just need me for his physical needs. I force myself so that he doesn't feel bad about it.We have discussed this numerous time but nothing seem to affect this nerd.

There is a guy in my office & for the last few months i've started feeling for him. I realised it only when he made some statements which made me feel that he's kind of interested in me. His body language changes when he's around me. He's a bit reluctant in looking into my eyes. None of his gestures are cheap. He is a very decent person & he is also a married guy & is a father too. I have also started liking him. This liking seems to have become quite intense between us. I can easily make out that he feels the same for me but just because we both r married & parents too stops us from being vocal about our feelings.He looks for an opportunity to be around me & tries to talk to me. He's not cheeky or a womenizer that i need to avaoid him or be rude.

I'm verrrryyyyy confused. I've started feeling very strongly for him. Please help!!!!

Comments (21)

• popi_gw
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Infatuation - sort out your marriage. Consider your child.

What do you think about that ?

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you're going through this.

Human beings need love, & when we aren't getting it, we get so desperate that we reach out to almost anyone who seems like he might offer it.

The results are almost always disastrous;
    the object of one's affection isn't in this world to fulfill our fantasies, he already has a life of his own;
    if your husband found out, there'd be no chance of salvaging your marriage;
    what about your child? could you lose custody of your own child?

If you & your husband can possibly find some common ground, if he'll cooperate, that's the best way.

If not, *end the marriage before you think about another man*.

Do whatever it takes;
    find another job,
    move your desk,
    keep yourself insanely busy (obligate yourself to do things & you're more likely to actually do them),
    spend tons of time with your women relatives & friends,
    take on an absorbing project such as making a quilt or planning & running a school fundraiser, etc.
    *whatever it takes*.

Once you've resolved your marital difficulties, whether you keep it together or dissolve it, this man at work will resume his normal human size & will no longer seem larger than life.

Years ago I read a book called "Some Men Are More Perfect Than Others".

One story was about the wife of a very successful man.
    Out of loneliness & hunger for affection, she started an affair with a poor student;
    she brought him homemade meals, she did his laundry, she doted on him.

She finally divorced her husband...
    & ended the affair.

She said that the attraction to the student was that he needed her *& her husband did not*.

Once the man who should have relied on her but didn't was out of her life, she no longer needed to be needed by the student.

something to think about.

I wish you the best.

• Related Discussions

Montauk Daisy... I am lusting after this plant

Q

Comments (22)
    I've read this post a couple days ago. Of course, same as beck wi, I've decided "I gotta have one". Yesterday, passing by HD, what did I see at the front - a beautiful Montauk Daisys. Now, I have a question, it is getting a bit cool - do I still have a time to put it in the ground. From previous posts seems like it is pretty hardy and should survive. I hope.
    ...See More

Malagasy Aloe Love/Lust For Mara

Q

Comments (10)
    I have the KG hybrid "Fire Ranch" that has this as a parent with Aloe vaombe (if I remember right). You can see it here being upstaged by the A. cameroni. I have tried to grow it in the ground because the literature said it was hardy to Z7, Hahahahahahahaha. I have killed it three times but I saved a pup and took it inside for the big freeze we had a couple of years ago. I treat it as a tropical . It shows freeze damage at 28 . It has the clustering blooms that are somewhat reminiscent of this parent. The one I killed would bloom. I am hoping this decendant will bloom soon. I love the habitat shots of the Aloe capitata cipinacola. I was not aware that it developed a trunk and got so tall. Yum, things that I have to look forward to. I guess the A. capitata var Capitata does the same.
    ...See More

Lustful Horizontally Rooted Cuttings

Q

Comments (11)
    Cool. I have found that I can almost entirely alleviate fungus gnat by bottom-watering. If the soil is NOT wet on top, they prefer not to lay their eggs there. So I have resorted to bottom-watering everything. This is perfect for mixes that have lots of chunky perlite and pine bark, but seems to cause water retention with anything with Sphagnum moss. My mix looks similar to what you have there, but I probably have about 30-40% more perlite and small bark chips and handles bottom-water really well, but with all that fine content in the pictures, I thought it might hold a lot of water. I have also found that watering by filling up the saucer every 4-5 days on my 2gal-4gal figs seems to work really well. I always see setups like the one you're showing in the Sky magazine on Delta airplanes. I've always wanted to buy one for herb and lettuce gardening. I would have never thought to use for cuttings. Thanks for sharing this!
    ...See More

Lusting for a Lavender Alternative??

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks everyone! Lavender_lass, they are all interplanted actually, but I think the first picture has more Walker's Low in it. The main difference between the two varieties seems to be that Blue Wonder seems to be a slightly deeper shade of purple. I see almost no difference in ultimate height or width between them, which is odd, but *shrug*. I also have a few Six Hills Giant, but they are also just about identical to the rest, and certainly not obviously "gigantic". LOL! I am wondering--do any of you grow any of the pink or even less common white nepetas? If so, what have your experiences with them been like?
    ...See More
  • garek007
    11 years ago

Infatuation. You are having an emotional affair. If you follow through with it and make it a real affair you will ruin two marriages, and hurt both your children and his. Work harder on getting through to your husband, do counseling if you need to, but don't give up so easily.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Infatuation. As Popi says- sort out your own marriage. See a counsellor, decide how you want it to go. Tell your husband. If you want to reconcile, he'll probably need to see a counsellor to if anything is going to change. Or resile yourself to more of the same. If you decide you've had enough, divorce before you even start to look at another man, and even then, be very careful as your child will be involved in this too.
    The guy you're infatuated with now, stop looking. He's not available, and you know that. If he's trying to engineer opportunities to talk to you, sorry but he IS cheeky and a womaniser and as such unreliable. Do you want to be hooked up with a guy who thinks it's OK to chat up other women despite his vows? If he's willing to cheat (even a little bit) on his current wife, he'll cheat on you.

• naari
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All,

Thankyou so much for your advice. I sure would do as suggested by each one of you. I'm really thankful to this forum also who gave me an opportunity to have an open & healty discussion of my problems. All those who know me might have given me some biased opinion. But, you all don't know me so your advice have stopped me from getting into a big problem which would have ruined my daughters life & ended my marriage. I cant live with so much guilt.

I'm really greateful to you all that you spent sometime in reading my problem & giving your suggestions.

Naari

• lee676
    11 years ago

"I'm married for last 8 years."
    "The confusion of my llfe is my strained relationship with my husband."
    "love seems to have ended in my marriage."
    "whenever he drinks he gets on to my nerves, becomes intolerant & i just hate him then.
    "He always takes me me for granted & uses me as if i'm an object."
    "(We) hardly talk face to face or over the phone"
    "in my life he hardly exists."
    "He just needs me for his physical needs."
    "I force myself so that he doesn't feel bad about it."

Whatever you do, do not let this wonderful marriage come to an end.

Your kid will someday thank you for providing him/her with a model for dysfunctional relationships.

Continue to "force yourself" to succumb to your husband's "needs". It will boost your self-esteem immeasurably.

He'll feel bad if you try to reign in his alcoholism or complain about his intolerance. Succumb to this too.

(yes, i'm being facetious. Get divorced before you waste another year with this sad excuse for a man. Your child will thank you. You will thank you.)

• asolo
    11 years ago

Each in our own way are ALL "broken records" response-wise, aren't we? Among the regulars, many are pretty predictable. Nothing unusual there.

I disagree with you, though. Seems to me each post is responded to according to its merits. For example, garek007's recent threads got a pretty thorough airing from many viewpoints.

Anyway, please don't go away. I like you.

• lee676
    11 years ago

I wouldn't recommend divorce if this were just a case of miscommunication or seeing things differently or hitting the inevitable rough patches. But, assuming the OP is not outright lying, this isn't a case of two people seeing the same situation differently. Would you really try to preserve a marriage to an intolerant alcoholic who almost never talks to you, even over the phone? Do you think it's healthy for a child to grow up thinking that's the norm for parental relations?

• garek007
    11 years ago

Asolo's right, people didn't immediately tell me to throw in the towel. They told me to be patient, to work on it.

• garek007
    11 years ago

Lee, I still agree with Amy Alcoholism is a disease, like cancer (sort of). Would you abandon your spouse if they had cancer? Marriage is a commitment, and people throw it away far too easily. They need to work harder to try to work it out. This guy may totally change if he realizes how close he came to losing her.

• tracystoke
    11 years ago

well amy dont bloody come on this forum then,if you dont like it then why come here ?

• popi_gw
    11 years ago

I like Amy too.

It helps me in my world, to respond to other people, because I reflect on my own situation.

Reading other people's predicaments oftem makes me realize my problems are not so bad - or even - I am resourceful enough to solve them myself !

Infatuation is an emotional response to inadequecies in one's personal life. I have had this happen to me. It will never end well because the relationship does not have a good foundation.

• naari
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All,

Please don't argue. I think its just difference in opinion. Let me throw some more light on the situation. Mine was a love marriage. I never discovered that he becomes hostile when drunk untill we got married. If he was frustrated because of anything, he would take that out on me. We often used to to indulge in fights & when he couldn't control me he would beat me like mad. I used to become numb,quivered because of trauma. The next day he was all normal as if nothing happened, sometimes he was apologetic. This continued for 6 yrs. Although this beating thing happened atleast 15 times in these many years. My dog(german shephard) & my child both used to get scared. He claims to love me like mad & says that he would never let go off me. We went to Psychiatrist(who is also a marriage counsellor. He took some medication also to relax his tensed nerves & also for leaving alcohol but all in vain as he stopped all the medication after a few weeks. He said that he loves to drink. This morning also he came at around 4:30am, all drunk. He forced me for sex but i didn't allow him. Fortunately, he was too tired that he went off to sleep & couldn't force me for long. Ohhhh i feel my life is cursed. He wanted to marry me because everybody found me beautiful. He likes to take me in public gatherings where he can boost of my beauty. People says that we look awesome together. No one knows the bitter realities of my life. My daughter, she also likes her father but doesn't allow him to touch me or sleep next to me. She would sleep between us whenever he's at home.

Oh my God! i'm in a fix. DOn't know what to do. Life sucks. The other guy in my office, he is nice with all the women & respects all. He has never tried to come close to me or express his feelings to me. It's just that i could sense that, see that in his eyes. I never paid much attention to it until I overheard him talking to my boss that he's not quite happy in his reltionship. Sounds funny sometimes. Everybody is looking for some cozy shelter. I took your advice & tried to avoid him but he's so nice & courteous & most importantly not pushy that I find it so difficult to avoid him.

Thanks all,

Naari

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

1. People who beat other people almost never change & they definitely don't change without some outside force (court order, etc);
    they like beating on someone & they get away with it, so there's no reason to stop.

2. People who are beaten can't afford to stay around their assailants;
    the likelihood is that the assaults will get more intense & the victim will end up in the hospital *at least*.
    (Who will raise your daughter if you are dead? her father? You cannot afford to die.)

3. Your daughter's reality is that physical assault, alcohol abuse, & terror are normal, day-to-day parts of married life;
    this puts her at risk for becoming a victim of violence herself.

4. She's assumed the role of parent, protecting you, instead of the other way around.

You are the subservient person in this marriage;
    you have no power, so you cannot negotiate with this bully.

The only way you can re-gain control of your life & recover your self-esteem & raise your daughter to be a happy, well-adjusted human being is to get out of that environment.

*Forget the guy at work*.

You need all your energy & presence of mind to create a better life for yourself & for your daughter.

I wish you the best.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Forget the guy at the office. But you do need to sort out your own life and marriage. If you are so miserable, why do you stay? Do your reasons for staying outweigh your unhappiness?

• lee676
    11 years ago

> You're telling someone you have never met, not knowing the whole truth, to get divorced.

You got that right.

> Marriage is a commitment, and people throw it away far too easily. They need to work harder to try to work it out. This guy may totally change if he realizes how close he came to losing her.

Please.

Why should he change? He knows, like millions of other abusive husbands everywhere, that he doesn't need to change. Rather, he needs only to follow his vile actions with crocodile tears and sworn apologies that he didn't really mean it, that he's really a nice guy if you give him another chance, whatever he needs to say and do to keep his wife in line until his next flame-up. Violent men rarely act like monsters 100% of the time. They would never keep a woman under their thumb if they did. Rather, they'll act like your husband does, following their violent episodes with sweet-talking their way into you forgiving him, repeat ad nauseum as long as you continue to allow it.

naari (and everyone who is encouraging her to work it out and not to give up), please go back and read your own words:

> when he couldn't control me he would beat me like mad.

> I used to become numb, quivered because of trauma. The next day he was all normal as if nothing happened, sometimes he was apologetic. (just like I said....)

> This continued for 6 yrs. (yeah, but give him even more time and "he might change". Right.)

> Although this beating thing happened at least 15 times

Garek007, I'm not telling her to immediately throw in the towel. I'm telling her to throw in the towel after 6 years of being a chronic wife-beater. I wouldn't abandon my spouse if she had cancer. I would abandon my spouse if she beat the daylights out of me for the 15th time.

> my child used to get scared.

Hey, why not stay with your hubby and scare the kid even more?

> He claims to love me like mad & says that he would never let go of me.

Nothing says love like beating you to a pulp 15 times. But he's serious about the "will never let go of you" part...

> We went to Psychiatrist (who is also a marriage counsellor). He took some medication also to relax his tensed nerves & also for leaving alcohol but all in vain as he stopped all the medication after a few weeks. He said that he loves to drink.

As you can see, he's willing to mend his ways

> This morning also he came at around 4:30am, all drunk. He forced me for sex but i didn't allow him.

This would have constituted rape had he succeeded. But he was drunk. I guess that excuses it.

> People says that we look awesome together.

Sure. I bet he doesn't throw punches and attempt sexual assault in their presence.

> No one knows the bitter realities of my life. My daughter, she also likes her father but doesn't allow him to touch me or sleep next to me. She would sleep between us whenever he's at home.

Well at least one person knows the bitter realities of your life - your daughter. She seems to have a much better grasp of your circumstance than you do.

One word: LEAVE.

• garek007
    11 years ago

lee, when I wrote that, she hadn't brought up the beating yet. Now that I know that he beats her, I agree. leave

• lee676
    11 years ago

Funny, I had to go back and read again because I thought she already mentioned that. She didn't explicitly, but I was reading between the lines, as I've learned to do over the years. Usually, in my experience, "He just need me for his physical needs. I force myself so that he doesn't feel bad about it." = he forces himself on her without her consent, but she doesn't want to roil up things by saying no, or filing charges if he uses force. And when I read "he uses me as an object" in this sort of confused, weepy diatribe, >90% of the time, that unidentified object is a punching bag. My intuition about these things continues to startle me in its usual correctness, as it has again here.

As for Office Guy, don't start anything with him now, because it will give your husband plausible grounds for you being at fault. End this (and I know what a seismic shock this is to make it happen, but you can and you will), then when that's settled, you can think about other men. But probably not Office Guy, unless things have so broken down with his wife that he pursues divorce as well. Otherwise, if he wants to embark on a clandestine relationship with you whilst hiding it from is wife, well, you know he doesn't mind being a cheater, and won't with you, either (as others have noted earlier). Even if he was single or already divorced though, I'd be concerned, simply because I don't really trust the kinds of men you are attracted to. If you see mostly good qualities in your current husband despite how he treats you, I wonder what you're not paying sufficient attention to when he still has your utmost interest.

• lee676
    11 years ago

(the new guy that is)

• garek007
    11 years ago

I guess I may have read it fast and am not too good at reading between the lines.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County