SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwesterner_gw

Early 30's and miserable

midwesterner
14 years ago

I'm in a situation right now that I see getting worse, and I really can't get an unbiased opinion as to what to do.

I'm a male in my early 30's and have been married for just over 5 years to my wife, who is also in her early 30's. 18 months ago, we had a beautiful baby boy, and he is truly a blessing, and I love him from head to toe....so here's the situation.

My wife works from home and has quite a lot of responsibility at her job. She watches him while she's working, but of course at 16 months, the little guy can be a handful, and during feeding times, he can be more than a handful...her day starts early in the morning, and she works off and on after I get home, depending on how her day went with the child.

My job starts basically at the same time hers does, however I have to go to a workplace, instead of working from home. My job is pretty demanding, and by 4pm I usually feel like I've had a lobotomy... I usually leave the house at 5:30am, and return from work at around 5pm, maybe a little sooner, but more often later. At that point, I get home, try to relax (I have a short commute, so I don't really depressurize much), and sometimes help feed the child. At 6'ish, I take him upstairs, give him a bath, and then put him to bed. From 7-9, I usually try to relax, and at 9:00 I usually do the day's dishes (using a dishwasher - unloading and loading) and take the garbage out (most days...I'm not saying I'm absolutely perfect here).

Over the years, I have become more and more resentful of certain aspects of our relationship...sometimes she is pretty sloppy leaving things laying around which I end up picking up....which isn't a big deal to me...the resentment comes in when I leave ONE thing laying around, I get the riot act because she picks it up...which is rare...usually she just complains about it.

Things have gotten much worse between us since our little one has been with us. For example, when I have a rough day at work...no matter what, it doesn't compare to the "two jobs" she has.

For example, I was doing a major home improvement, and was covered in grime, she was having difficulty with the baby, and basically demanded that I drop what I was doing to take care of it....but I couldn't...because of what I was doing in the house at that moment. She started in on me, to the point of her throwing a can of coke at me because she was so upset. I was so mad that I probably came as close as I ever did to leaving that day. And of course I acted like a raging lunatic because of my anger to the coke being thrown at me.

Whatever I do, I don't do enough because of her "two jobs". Talking about it does not work, it always comes back to what I'm not doing. I've suggested counseling for us(when making up from our major blow out fights), and she tells me I'm the one who has the problem.

It's to the point now that even when she is even keel, I don't really want to talk, and I'm not even interested in making love to her anymore. My home has become a place of coldness, and I'm really at my breaking point.

I don't know what to do. I have thought about divorce, but where would that leave my child? I couldn't imagine doing that to him.

I hope someone can help me. I am really miserable at this point in my life. The bright spot is my child.

Comments (21)

Sponsored