SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadastimer

Who makes the final decisions in your home?

nadastimer
22 years ago

I'm kinda curious about this after I was watching my one good friend prepare to move in with her boyfriend of almost 5 years. Anyway, from what I'm finding out, they haven't been able to buy anything for the apartment without his approval. And last night I was helping her get her dishes and things in the kitchen cupboards. She wanted to show him where things were and he said he was busy, she could show him later. So then we leave to go to her house and get her things. When we get back he comes right out and says to her, "We DO NOT stack cups in this house. I am NOT getting out 3 cups just to get the one so I can get a drink." (So the like 20 cups they bought and we had all neatly put into one of those small cupboards close to the fridge, were now spread out to take up two large cupboards that are needed for food) There was some profanity in there, too, but you get the point. This really upset her because she just had an emotional ride from her childhood home. She's only lived in one house her whole life with the same bedroom so this is hard for her. Not to mention that her parents are against the move. I fear they're in for a lot of fighting because I think even down to the decorating, he will decide what goes and what doesn't. Now I'm kinda seeing why she told me she wasn't worried about curtains yet or throw rugs or any decor of any kind when I offered stuff I didn't want or need anymore.

So what do your husbands have a say in around the home? My fiance' doesn't give a care in the world really to what I do to our home. Now if he really doesn't like something, he'll speak up and tell me not to buy it or do it but I don't have to go through him before I can do anything. He also makes suggestions, like he'll buy something he really likes and I usually find a home for it once we get home. I guess even down to the bills, I make the decisions of which ones get paid and when. He doesn't want bothered with them. All the household bills are in my name so I can call about them and take care of things on my own. Plus, I'm a SAHM with no income so it helps with my credit to have things in my name. From what I'm hearing, my friend has nothing in her name in this apartment. I bet he'll throw this in her face that it's all in his name. I think they're doomed already and today is move-in day! I'm trying to be postive and tell her it will be fine. But I'm not so sure sometimes.

Comments (21)

Sponsored