SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blue_fastback

wife dies and mother inlaw is beneficiary on insurance

blue_fastback
13 years ago

My wife just passed away and now I am left alone to raise our two adopted 7 year old boys. We were together for 13 years but only married for 2. I recently found out that my wife never changed over her life insurance policy or her IRA,s into my name and still had her mom as beneficiary. When I asked her about this she said her dauhter wanted her to have the money and she would set up a trust and give some money to our kids. I feel really cheated. I believe the majority of this money should go to me and my kids so I can provide a better life for us. Setting up a trust so the kids can have this money when they are 18 is good for college does me no good in raising them. This was a $500,000 policy. I informed my mother inlaw that after me and my wife got married that I took out a life insurance policy on myself and had my wife as benificiary so her and the kids would be set. The mother inlaw does not plan on giving me a dime. She said I will now get Social Security for my kids so I should be fine. What should I do?

Comments (14)

Sponsored