Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Examples of mental/psychological abuse

Posted by bowdoin514911 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 8:56

Hi all,
Would like to see various types of mental, psychological, emotional abuse from anyone who cares to respond. I have been a DV violence victim before, but was wondering how far will some people "go", to make other peoples' lives miserable. I've done lots of self-educating online, and I know what I have and am still going through, but would like to hear from others. Your opinions and stories will be very helpful to me. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Examples of mental/psychological abuse

bump

o

Are you writing a paper? Taking a survey? Why do you want this?

o

I am not writing a paper or taking a survey. Just wondering how far one would go as far as playing mind games with their signifigant other. I am going through some stuff that I believe would be classified as mental or emotional abuse. Don't need any names or identifying names, as I know all too much about the confidentiality issues. Thanks.

o

"...was wondering how far will some people "go", to make other peoples' lives miserable."

"....wondering how far one would go as far as playing mind games with their signifigant other."

Who do you think would describe themselves as having such despicable/monstrous traits? Really bizarre post!

o

sounds pretty sick to me..."describe types of violence and abuse?" why? do you enjoy reading this kind of stuff?

o

"I am going through some stuff that I believe would be classified as mental or emotional abuse."

If you think it may be abuse, then I think you are right.
Emotional abusers tear down their victims bit by bit, so they begin to doubt their judgement and perceptions.
So if you think he's been abusing you, but aren't 100% sure, that would be exactly how a typical abuse victim feels.

It can be anything along the lines of insults, name-calling, controlling behavior, pouting, sulking, intimidating or manipulating to get his way, constant nit-picky criticism, contemptuous or disgusted looks, the silent treatment. Emotional abuse also covers waking you up in the middle of the night or other means of deliberate sleep deprivation, gas-lighting you by insisting that what you remember wasn't correct, separating you from your riends or family using any number of tactics. Calling you worthless, unlovable, too fat, un-sexy, unattractive, unintelligent, incompetent... There's more, I'm sure. But you can find all that any number of places.

If you want to share your story here, I'm sure others will be happy to chime in with their opinions of whether or not it's abuse...

o

"If you think it may be abuse, then I think you are right."

"So if you think he's been abusing you, but aren't 100% sure, that would be exactly how a typical abuse victim feels."

With respect.....I've personally been in the orbit of far too many women who said stuff like this. For most, I had no way to discern but several others were known to me to be self-focused nut-cases. Impossible for me to accept such stuff as-stated without something to back it up other than how the promulgators say they "think" or "feel". Too flakey for me.

Combined with this particular OP, forget it.

o

I hear you Asolo --

But some of the most damaging types of abuse are pretty hard to pin down.
My Ex was emotionally abusive, and one of his favorite tactics was to look at me with withering contempt and disgust whenever I'd done something that displeased him -- you know, important things like let him run out of clean socks...

This is the kind of treatment that's genuinely very hurtful, but easy for someone else to dismiss with an incredulous "You mean he looked at you funny?"

OP may or may not be a flake.
But that's why I say that if you suspect you're being abused, you probably are.

If you're furiously positive you're being emotionally abused and are angrily venting hither and yon about how unfairly you're being treated and how inconsiderate your 'abusers' are -- I'd be more inclined to suspect that 'victim' of an inflated sense of entitlement.

o

I think were pretty much on the same page, then. Like most, I, too, am imprisoned by my own experience and observations...due respect to reading and study. Guess I see "abuse" as being pretty strong and over-used....often, in my experience, by people who had a lot more going on with themselves than something coming from the outside. Pretty common to blame someone else for one's own shortcomings. What I've seen too frequently is people who "suspect" they're being abused usually aren't. I've become wary because of it.

In the case of this OP, I don't know what she's talking about. Strange way of asking. Don't know where she wants to go with it.

o

OP recently started a thread on the Household Finances forum that may help you put the pieces together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Household Finances topic link

o

Not going to chase around seeking any "pieces" to be put together. If she wants a meaningful response, she can write an intelligible post.

o

I think sweeby's responses are spot on. Whether or not anyone here agrees about 'abuse', If you don't like the way someone is treating you, tell them so, and from the get-go!

Always, trust your GUT. That's your psychological/ emotional compass that steers you in the right direction away from potential harm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here