Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unfaithful before marriage

Posted by jcorn59483 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 02 at 1:06

Hi- I'm married (happily, knock wood) but I have a good friend who has been dating a guy for about 4 years now. He seems crazy about her every time we see them together and they are engaged to be married. But she called me and said she found out he'd slept with 3 other women recently. Should she break it off? Is he just sowing a few wild oats before the final commitment or is this a bad sign? My opinion is that this is a very bad sign but...how do others feel?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unfaithful before marriage

The writing is on the wall. She knows what she has to do. The commitment to her is not there. It will not be there just because they have fancy party and exchange rings. His word will be then what it is now. Tell her to read "Ten Stupid Things Women DO" by Dr. Laura Schlesinger (sp?). Still time to save herself.

o

I agree if he is not faithful now what is his motivation to stay faithful in the future. I think it is a bad sign that he cannot keep his commitment at this point. I think that the marriage would be doomed before it began.

o

I wouldn't be within ten feet of this guy! What's to stop him from cheating on her while they're married (as everyone else has said)? I'm sorry, I'm not perfect, but I find cheating, whether you're married or dating, inacceptable. I would drop him like a hot potato.

o

I'm assuming that it was clear to him that his girlfriend expected a monogamous, commited relationship? If so, she obviously needs to leave him. Not only does he sound like a louse, he is risking her life by potentially exposing her to STDs.

o

Exactly, dump him and get tested!

o

Should she break it off? How could there possibly even be any question?????

o

I agree with everyone else. This guy's not gonna' change. To me, an engagement is as much a commitment as anything else. If he can't keep it in his pants now what's gonna' stop him later?!

o

Thanks, that's what I thought too (dump him) but they were dating for four years so I thought I'd ask before I gave her my opinion which is...dump him. It'd be what I'd do in that situation myself.

o

I agree with everyone else, the solution is pretty obvious! He's a Loser! You friend should dump him before he gives her a disease!

o

She needs to move on and find the real man that will be committed completely.

o

Is he just sowing a few wild oats before the final commitment

That sowing wild oats thing is total BS. It's cheating plain and simple. As my mom always told me, Leopards don't change their spots. If he's doing it now, he'll continue. She should dump him; no second chances. *MAYBE* if it were only once and he was honestly repentant. But THREE times? NO WAY. NO WAY.

o

She should kick this guy to the curb. He's a messy divorce waiting to happen, with a lot of heartache (and possibly disease) along the way.

o

Has he/she ever heard of the AIDS epidemic? Gosh, I would not want him anywhere near me. I would definitely be at the docs getting tested and toss the chap.
Bad news.

o

just to clarify things in my own mind: the 'final commitment' took place when he proposed marriage and she accepted.

anything which follows that date/time MUST reflect on the singularity of THAT final commitment, while anything which occurrs prior to that date/time can possibly be excluded from such commitment.

there has to be a time in 'our' relationship which has to be prior to the 'us' of our relationship, and for which faith should not bbe an issue.

-d.

o

Perhaps, Dicken. But what happens before marriage is a pretty good indicator of what to expect after the ceremony. After dating for several years, there's an expectation and often an agreement of monogamy. This guy didn't sleep with the women prior to the relationship, he slept with them 4 years into the relationship. This makes him a poor prospect for marriage.

o

Yup, I am going to hop right onto the bandwagon here (if it isn't already overcrowded...) teehee! Your friend should DUMP HIM and run as fast as she can the OTHER direction. Uh, stop at the GYN for a test on the way outta town! :-)

I know dumping is hard to do, but the heartache now isn't nearly what a divorce would be...

P

o

If he had a fling with 3 girls before they were married, He'll have a fling with 30 after they're married!!
RUN, RUN, RUN!!!

o

How could there possibly even be a question here?

o

Here is another perfect example:

My step-daughter moved in with her boyfriend in December. In April she came crying back home because her boyfriend had cheated on her. Now, mind you, he admitted to her early in the relationship that he had cheated on every other girlfriend he had in order to break up with them. Many of his friends told her that he would cheat on her. Her reply; oh no he won't, it is different with us!!!! Well, I guess she should have listened to him and his friends and saved herself alot of heartache.

Once a cheater, always a cheater!!!! Run, Run, Run

o

Please tell your girlfriend that although she IS SPECIAL and unique, that doesn't mean she can "change" him, or that he'll change for her. It's a trap women fall into, we think we can change the mens behavior, but with something like cheating so many times, she truly needs to get herself out of there and find someone she can trust to marry.

o

He didn't just have a fling with 1 woman -- it was with 3 different women! I guess he didn't feel guilty enough to stop with just one -- so he just kept on going! Sounds like a real good catch to me.

o

She must really feel down in the dumps. What is going to make her feel any better on her wedding day with this in the back of her mind? She can do better - dump him! I could never trust him.

o

I would literally run for my life. She's asking for a lot of heartache if she doesn't.
Lu

o

I agree with most of the posts, READ THE WRITING ON THE WALL, HE'S A CHEATER. Tell her do not waste 4 more years on that idiot. Men do what you allow them to do in relationships. Trust me he had her in mind when he thought about cheating and probably said "ole girl isn't going nowhere even if she does find out". If she is still there after finding out he cheated with 3 other women then he is saying all smug to himself " I knew she wasn't going anywhere". He is going to continue to cheat on her, by her staying with him she is telling him it's ok to cheat.
For goodness sake I hope she doesn't marry the bum.

o

I agree with most everyone else here, too. Even though they aren't married yet, he's cheating on her. He's cheating on their relationship. She needs to realize she deserves better than that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here