SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

What are the signs of a marriage being over

caflowerluver
15 years ago

when it is not obvious like cheating or abuse? We have been married for over 31 years and ever since my DH got laid off 2 months ago, we have been fighting almost every day.

And it is over stupid little things, like just now at dinner I just said "Shouldn't we test the temperature on the chicken again?" He blows up and yells in anger "I tested it 15 minutes ago and it was close so to anyone with a brain it should be obvious it is done." Then goes storming out and gets in the car and leaves. Anything sets him off. It is like walking on eggshells. I know he is feeling bad because of the layoff, but I am tired of him using me as a whipping boy. I was sympathetic and understanding for the first month, but started losing it when he was constantly yelling at me for every little thing. He explodes over little things like the temperature thing and I am just standing there with my jaw on the floor. I just asked a simple innocent question.

I have suggested counseling for both of us or just him, because of the lay off, and he absolutely refuses. He has buried his head in the sand and won't admit we have a problem. It is beginning to affect his health. We went to the ER and was there till 2:30AM because of his terrible stomach pains. Thought it might be appendicitis, but it turned out to be nothing. And now he refuses to go to a doctor to have more tests done and yells at me when I suggest it. I think he is getting an ulcer because of his anger. I am also worried about the effect this is having on our grown son who has Autism. This is not a good situation for him. He is scared about us getting a divorce and what is going to happen to him. Even the dog is barking all the time now and she never use to. She can feel the always present tension and is reacting to it.

I thought we would be married till we were in the old folks home together but now I am not too sure. I don't like the person he has become. It is not the person I use to know and love.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!