SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof4plus1_gw

How Do I Deal With My Husband's Anger?

momof4plus1
10 years ago

Hi all! I'm at my wit's end and would love some input, suggestions, ect.
I'll start by saying that my husband and I have been married for almost 9 years, it's been a rocky marriage from the word go. We're a blended family and four kids (two-mine and two-ours) at home, I also have a stepson who lives 3 hours away with his Mom. My husband has always had a very short fuse and when he gets angry he stays angry for sometimes days. He also gets mean and will do and say whatever he can just to hurt me. In the past I would add fuel to the fire by screaming and yelling and doing things to "get back at him". I've learned that playing these games is immature and counterproductive. My husband on the other hand continues with these things. He now becomes extremely angry and blames me for really trivial things, case in point on Monday he blew up at me because our dog had an accident in the house. He was home, I had been gone for an hour and a half when it happened. My husband blamed me and said it was obvious the dog hasn't been let outside all day, when I responded that I had let him out more than once before he got home my husband's reply was that I obviously didn't make sure that the dog peed while he was out... Huh? Our dog is an almost 3 yr old boxer who is house trained, an accident in the house is not a normal occurrence. Is it something get "f*%&ing pissed off" (his words) about and place blame on someone for? In my opinion, no it's not life is way too short to get so upset about something like that. Two days later he's still angry and refuses to speak to me. When he's like this he has a way of making me feel very alienated from everyone in the house. Thankfully he's working our of town for a couple days so right now there's no tension. And just to upset me he took my laptop when he left, not because he needed it but because he knows it upsets me when he takes my things without asking me.
These angry outbursts followed by the silent treatment seem to come and go in spurts, sometimes it's every week or two and he's mad at me and then it'll be months before it happens again.
I don't know how to deal with it anymore. On Monday night I left the house and sat in my car in a hotel parking lot for 4 hours because it was better than being at the house with him. A big part of me wants to leave him, I've become pretty numb to his anger and even when he's not mad I'm walking on egg shells so that I don't piss him off, but I'm honestly afraid of the hell he'd put me through during a divorce, he's vindictive and manipulative already... There are times when he's a good husband and fun to be around but even those times are being overshadowed by the times when he's mean and angry.....

Comments (13)

Sponsored