SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

I need advice for my mother in law

LullabyF360
11 years ago

Some legal advice. This is going to be a bit of a long one, so bare with me, folks.

She & my father in law have been married for about 35 yrs (they've quit counting), but they have wanted a divorce pratically since the day they got married. This is her second marriage. From the first she had a daughter & divorced him, because he was a drunk & fooled around. As far as my father in law, this is his fourth marriage. While he was marries to his third wife, he was messing around with his current one. She should have saw this as a red flag. In fact, there are a lot of things I am about to tell you that are her fault.

She was the only one who gave him children (my husband & his younger disabled sister). He had to take fertility medicines in order for this to happen. After their second child, they stopped sleeping together, both literally & sexually. Sometime during the 90s he moved out. He only shows up nce a month to collect his mail, raise a little hell, & then leave. Her neighbors stand by with their phones in hand, ready to call 911. Everytime the cops are called, he is gone before they show up. In one instance, he & my sister in law got into an argument. I don't know what it was about or how it got started. All I know is that she was cleaning up the yard. He hit her in the head with the BB gun he was holding, leaving a cut on her forehead. He was going to hit her again with it when she grabbed a rotten peice of lumber & hit him with it. It was so rotten it shattered into millions of bits & didn't leave a mark on him other than some dirt. When the police arrived, they tried to arrest her! They said because she is mentally disabled, what she did was the equilivant to stabbing someone. Really?!? The neighbors STRONGLY objected, & she was eventually let go. They left without so much as a word to my father in law.

Three years ago, they bought a double wide trailer. He is the bread winner, even though he is retired. My mother in law has to stay at home with my sister in law. She COULD work, but whatever job she finds in our area, all money she makes will go to whoever she hires to watch after her daughter. The payment on the trailer is $750 a month. He give them $1,500 a month. That is to cover the trailer payment, groceries, bills, & gas. There have been times they have had to turn off their water & heater/cooling to shave a bit of money. Supposedly, he said was going to be taking care of the trailer note himself. My sister in law does recieve social security disability, but the majority of that money is used to take care of her animals.

Just recently, while my mother in law & sister in law where grocery shopping, a woman approached them, greeted them nicely, & proceded to inform them that she is the one my father in law has been messing around with. "But it's okay, since y'all are separated," she added. Uumm, no. My in laws, though they have not lived together in over ten years, are not legally separated. Why? Because he refuses to since the papers. Fast forward about a month & someone else tell my mother in law that they heard he is planning on moving that woman & her kids into the trailer. Yes, the double wide they bought three years ago. It is sitting next to the trailer my mother in law & sister in law have lived in since the early 80s. No one is sure how much water this rumor holds.

Now this is the part where I need everyone's help with. My mother in law has tried several times, has gone to several lawyers, to file for divorce. But every single one denies her a divorce, saying HE has to be the one to file for divorce. He won't sign separtion papers, so naturally, he isn't going to sign for a divorce. His reason behind all of his is as follows: he is not leaving anything to anybody when he dies, he wants to F us over as much as he possibly can, because no body gives a *bleep* about him. That was his response when asked why he refuses to file. Now I don't know how any of this goes, but can a lawyer deny her a divorce? I can understand it, possibly, due to her financial situation, but even so. This makes no sense to me, espcially it being EVERY lawyer she has one to.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations