Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireproof movie and the Love Dare challenge

Posted by vasko (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 1, 09 at 15:44

I wasn't able to find a good website that offered support specifically for the Fireproof movie and the Love Dare challenge, so I decided to create one myself. Right now, my wife and I are the only members. If anyone would like to share their experiences, feel free to join us:

www.fireprooflovedare.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireproof movie and the Love Dare challenge

Gee thanks.

o

Fireproof was a wonderful movie that every couple should see and then take the challenge. I didn't think the acting was all that great, but that did not detract from the principles.

I hope everyone will watch the movie with their spouse, take the challenge, and spread the word. The OP created a support site and here's the official website.

o

We also saw the movie. I was surprised. The theater was packed. It really was a worthwhile way to spend the evening. It really made you stop and think, and regroup on the kind of marriage you want, and how to get there, even if your partner is fighting you every step of the way. I think all married couples should see it, but those who are struggling in their marriages should really see this movie. It was impressive to see so many couples in the theater.

o

I too thought the acting was horrible...but I kept watching because the idea was good. Sparked lots of conversation with me and dh about what we take for granted. I will have to check out the website stuff. Would love to have a copy of the 40 day challange!

o

I thought the acting was eh, so so, but the movie plot was dreadful. The married couple portrayed in that flick didn't have any real problems. They were both just immature, self-centered young people, and they both had good, solid parents that they loved and parents that loved them.

Who knows *anyone* in real life with that kind of "Leave it to Beaver" background? I don't.

What a snoozer.

o

That was so unnecessary to discourage people the movie might otherwise be very helpful to, but who will not bother to see it because of such a bad review, and in my opinion inaccurate with irrelevant complaints. It doesn't sound like you've read much of this forum. I think the movie touches on a lot people's problems very closely, in that most problems are emotional (often immature), manufactured, and self-inflicted. The only thing I didn't feel was accurate was the wife's response of disdain for her husband's mistreatment and her determination to end the marriage, whereas most women just cry and put up with it day after day. I also don't understand your complaint about each of their sets of parents. What does that have to do with the message of the movie? And how much time was it supposed to spend delving into that? None because a movie scripted to introduce ways to strengthen a marriage doesn't have to bother with whether the couple gets along with their parents.

o

Rosemaryt, nice to meetcha. Now you do.

o

"I thought the acting was eh, so so, but the movie plot was dreadful. The married couple portrayed in that flick didn't have any real problems. They were both just immature, self-centered young people, and they both had good, solid parents that they loved and parents that loved them."

I agree!

o

I don't have a problem with rosemaryt giving her opinion of the movie. She and others are entitled to their take on it. Movies get reviewed all the time, some good some bad. How boring life would be if we all agreed on the same thing or the same way to do things. I personally wouldn't spend the money to go see this type of movie. I go to the movies for entertainment...not for guidance or counseling. But more power to those that think it can help them. NancyLouise

o

The OP posted this on the Marriage site because they thought that the movie had merit that possibly could help improve some marriages. There are other sites to critic movies so if you didn't like the movie, post there.

Regarding the movie as it pertains to the Marriage forum one of the main points of the movie related to transitioning from having a self-centered, me first attitude to one that considered the needs of their spouse and others first. That pricipal would certainly be beneficial to any relationship.

o

Actually, the OP posted solely to promote their own website.

o

Evangelicals are never hesitant about promoting their point point of view by any means whatever because they are sure they have the answers. No surprises here.

If it works for you, go for it. However, those of us who have moved beyond sixth grade platitudes and pollyanna may have deeper issues less amenable to this approach.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here