SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swisschardfanatic

Angry at my husband! Remodeling problems

Warning: long rant!

I've posted in the bathroom and kitchen forums so why not here too. Remodeling is stressful. My husband and I don't agree on everything.

We bought a house very, very cheap and we currently have a lot of equity in the home, and I'm happy about that. The house has good bones; it's a small fixer upper on an acre and a half. Property and house have been neglected for probably 20+ years. People have lived in it during that time but they didn't fix things up properly, applying tape and other redneck ultra cheap improper techniques to hold the place together while they lived in it. It's my opinion that they lived like animals. You will see why below.

Why did we buy this very cheap, under-market priced fixer upper? Because I was completely against a mortgage and DH convinced me that we could fix this place up (and it wasn't easy convincing me; I knew nothing of remodeling until we started on this place and wasn't aware that you COULD fix a place up like this; I never would have guessed that you could transform things so much). We were renting at the time he bought it, so we remodeled the place while we stayed in our rental.

Then we hired a sheetrock guy and he went way way way over the deadline and our 1-yr lease was coming to an end so we had no choice but to move even though the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room were not remodeled yet and badly in need of it.

When we moved in, the bathroom, kitchen and laundry room were not fit to use. We had a spat over the bathroom being in such poor condition, but the next day I bleached the heck out of it and we installed new hardware and now it's tolerable. At least it's clean. It's still a struggle to use it though.

Then we had a spat about the kitchen and he called me a princess because I wanted it to be more ready before I used it. Then today we had another spat about the kitchen. Yesterday, after vacuuming out the mouse poop, dead roaches, and dust inside the cabinets, I spent hours on my hands and knees with bleach, water, soap, and mold killer cleaning out the nasty, filthy cabinets in that kitchen, and then let it dry overnight.

Then, today I discover 2-3 new turds of fresh mouse poop and inform my husband. He says well it sounds like we need some mouse traps. I said no, we need to install 1-inch thick strips of plywood along the inside edges of the cabinets where there is a gap between the floor/wall and the cabinets where the mouse is getting in. He said go away I feel like you're nagging me.

I got so mad, I left the house calling him all kinds of names under my breath where he could not hear me, picked up a chair, marched off to the opposite end of the property and waited until the last minute before we had to leave for work.

Now I'm at work and my blood is still boiling. How can he treat me this way? He moved me into a house where the most important parts of a house to a woman--the bathroom and kitchen--were 100% neglected before moving in. I told him right at the beginning that the bathroom and the kitchen are the most important to me, but he just didn't do anything with these parts of the house. And the kitchen is, right now, a week later, not usable because of mold growth that I could not reach while cleaning (I guess I'll have to get something like a sponge on a stick to finish the job), and mouse poop. I will not use the kitchen while a mouse lives in my cabinets.

And because of this I'm a princess and a nagging wife. Really? What does a husband expect when he moves his wife into a house where the bathroom and kitchen were not usable?

I have, for the first time in my life, gotten an infection in my belly button. He says it's from all the cleaning I've been doing. Believe me, I've been busy!!!!!! I didn't even know that you could GET an infection in your belly button! It was painful! He had to help me clean that thing out and then pour hydrogen peroxide in there to kill the infection! I'm in my late 20s and never had this happen to me before! Yes it was funny. Yes we laughed a ton about it while I whimpered and whined. We will never forget the experience, but right now I'm mad.

Every time he and I disagree about how and when to go about doing a repair or something with the house, he takes it as me nagging him or disapproving of him. I can't deny that I disapprove of the way he's gone about things. It's true. I disapprove of the fact that we moved in before the kitchen and bathroom were ready. I disapprove of the fact that he doesn't want to do things right the first time. I disapprove of the fact that he changes plans randomly without consulting me and then expecting me to go along with it. I disapprove of how he wants to remodel the kitchen--I don't agree with his plans. He wants the fridge to stay parked in the dining room and I don't agree. EVEN HIS BUDDIES AND HIS MENTOR SAID IT WAS A BAD IDEA, and that he should do the kitchen differently. I disapprove of his plan to put the dishwasher all the way across the kitchen, opposite to the sink, which is the farthest distance away from the sink that you can go. I disapprove of the way he wants to remodel the bathroom. He wants to remove the current paneling from the bathroom walls and then just slap some tiles up onto the bare walls without putting up any kind of board there first.

I don't want to have a rednecked house. I want this house done right so that I don't get infections in my belly button, mouse poo in my pots and pans, mold on my dishes, wood rot and mold growth behind the tiles in the bathroom, and on and on. I guess that makes me a princess and a nagging wife!

If he read this post, which he will not, he'd fly into a rage and threaten (again) to sell the house and just rent some place, while calling me a princess.

This post was edited by Swiss_Chard_Fanatic on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 12:43

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville