SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldxrguy

Wife blindsided me. Any advice?

OldXRGuy
11 years ago

My wife of 20 years recently told me she doesn't love me and she feels like we are more like roommates. I found that she started an emotional affair last October. I am not sure if she was intimate with the guy - she denies it. And although she says it's over, I am not sure if it really is. (If it is still going on, she's very careful & discreet.)

We've never had any prior problems with money, verbal or physical abuse, gambling, drugs, alcohol, infidelity..

I assume that I have at least some responsibility in how things are. But she can't tell me what I have ever done, other than not take the family on a trip to Disney (that we probably could not afford) years ago. I've begged her to forgive me for my faults (whatever they are).

She apparently has a serious issue with not being able to forgive & she's just started counseling for it recently.

Meanwhile, although we get along OK, there is no intimacy. I have no idea if she is interested in working to repair our marriage, or if she is totally checked out and done with me.

Some days, I am 100% committed to fixing the relationship. Other days, I am bitter and angry at having been blind-sided, and I would be happy to find a nice woman who would appreciate me.

I've always made 80% of the money. So I worry that she will take me for 1/2 of everything, and then shack-up with a boyfriend - avoiding marriage so the alimony doesn't get cut off. (I've seen this exact thing happen to a close friend.)

BTW - my daughter is off to college this fall and my son is 16.

I'm in such a confused and worried state. ANY advice would be appreciated.

Comments (11)

Sponsored