SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hope_full

Need advice - and some hand-holding on second marriage issue

hope_full
16 years ago

Married more than a couple years now and I married someone who makes more than I do and has more assets than I do and we talked about that and that seemed like no big deal, until...

Today we were talking and I learned that he has been sending his daughter $1,000 a month (allowance) to help with expenses at her high-dollar college and has been doing so for more than a year. This is in addition to his paying for tuition and all other expenses, which is also a significant sum. This young person (very early 20s) works part time at school and that's it.

Meanwhile, my daughter is also at college and is really struggling because she's trying to work 40 hours a week at a low-wage job and take a full load of college classes and keep up her GPA so she won't lose some scholarship money.

I send her what I can, which is maybe $1,200 a year and that's not much and that's eeked out of my own income, which is pretty modest.

My question is, I'm upset because there is such a severe dichotomy between these two children - my child and his child.

Would you be upset? Or is this just what happens in second marriages - when one partner has a higher income? I guess I'm a fool but I'd been *striving* to think of ours as a blended family - with no dark lines separating my kid and his kid.

He's not wealthy by any means but he makes an income that's a little above average. Lately, he's been telling me we have to be so very careful with our expenses because "things are tight and there's no spare cash."

Well, now I know why "things are tight."

Please be kind. I've been crying over this because it's so painful to think of my daughter working so hard and to think of my step-daughter (whom I do love and care for) getting everything handed over on a silver platter.

HF

Comments (48)

Sponsored