SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlotta_bull

Conflict Resolution in Marriage

Carlotta_Bull
22 years ago

A football coach at our local university recently lost his job. He & his wife got into an argument. She slapped him, he pushed her & she called the police. He was arrested (per domestic violence laws in TX) and his image was plastered over the news media. He was forced to resign as a result of the publicity & charges.

A very wise woman gave DH & I (before we got married) some very wise advice:

She said when DH & I got into an argument, if either of us even had the slightest urge to lay a hand on the other to LEAVE. Walk around the block, go to the grocery store, do anything, but GET OUT OF THE HOUSE and cool off. Then, when both parties had calmed down, discuss the issue as rational human beings.

We have done that for 13 years (not that we fight THAT often, lol) and it has been a successful method for us. The last one we had was a couple of years ago. We got into it, DH left. He came back & we glared at each other & I left. This went on for several hours. My DD asked what in the world was going on! I told her Daddy & I were fighting. She said "Looks to me like you're both taking turns leaving the house."

How do you handle arguments in your marriage?

Comments (8)

Sponsored