Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long did you date?

Posted by TeresaVA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 02 at 12:45

Before you got married?

DH and I are usually the exception, but we dated for 7 years before we got engaged (1 year) so technically 8 years of dating!

We met in college and both wanted to "be single", finish college, get good jobs and be somewhat secure before we tied the knot. After school, we were both enjoying ourselves and in no rush to get married-everyone else was though! I think it was a great decision, as we have long since worked past all the little annoyances when you first get together, and we definitely know each other well!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long did you date?

We dated for three and a half years before we got married. We lived together on and off during that time (we were moving around a lot because of jobs, school, etc.) which also helped us get past some of the early shocks of living with someone!

o

We dated a long time as well, 6 years. It was a ricky road for sure but tons of fun as well. Married now 2 years and he is such a sweety. I am very blessed to have him.
Chantel

o

Not me. Like I said in the 'how did you meet' post, I broke all my rules. Met in July, engaged in August, married the following February. Just celebrated 11 years.

Also - I had been in so many of my college girlfriends' weddings, that I was sick of tulle and taffetta, so we had a very small family and close friend affair. Very casual. The pastor was my dad's old college roommate, by coincidence, so it was great. We actually decided the weekend before, to do the wedding the next weekend. :-)

I picked groundhog day solely because I knew DH could remember the anniversary easier (2/2) :-)

o

3 1/2 years. I knew him for 6 months before we had our first date.

o

Our first date was December 24th. He asked me to marry him on January 7th, and I picked April 22 as a wedding date. I love April, 'cause everything's green and so very pretty. This April will be our 30th anniversary, and I love him more today than every before. He's my sweetie.
vlm (71k image)

o

1 1/2 years.

o

about a month.

o

Dated for five months, engaged for 10 months and now married 39 plus years. He's a keeper!

o

My hubby and I started dating in 8th. grade - 14 years old. We are both now 30 and we have been married for 8 years this coming July!

I love him so much. He has been such a very big part of my life for so long, I can't imagine us not being together.

o

We were blind dates introduced by his cousin who married a friend of mine. We dated two weeks and he proposed to me and then we dated a year before getting married.

o

i dated my husband that im married to now for 3.5 years but my ex is a different story~ met in may married in sept were parents the following sept and have been happily divorced or at least i have for 5 years

o

Dated 3 months, engaged 5 months but we had been friends for about 7 years.

o

Dated about 4 months, then one night he stayed overnight and never left. Married about 2 years after that and celebrated our 25th anniversary last year.

o

Moved in on the second date, got engaged at 16 months and married at 25 months. Been married for a year and a half and expecting our first child in May.

o

We were long time daters as well. My BIL called it the seven year itch at the toast since we dated for 7 years before getting married. We have been married since 1996 and are still going strong!

o

Met in August, Engaged the following February - and married that same year in October.

Knew each other a total of 14 months, lived together 4 months after we met.

Will be married 2 years this October.

o

We met in November of 1994, got engaged Valentines day of 1998 and married in July of 1998.

o

dated 5+ years, was engaged 10 months, been married for 7+ years, parents for the last 2 years, best friends from day one. Crazy thing is that is all started when I was 14.

o

We met right before he was moving away, so we started dating on w/e's in Sept.and got married that Jan. Just celebrated 27 years of marriage.

o

I met DH on 13th April and we married on 3rd April three years later. We were engaged for 6 months and come April will be our 20th anniversary.

o

Our first date was May 9, 1970. We had an absolutely "take my breath away" first summer together and then he had to go back to school in Florida. We would talk often on the phone and set up times to look out at the moon at night so that somehow, we could be connected. :)) He finished out 1970-71 school year in FlA. and then came back home to be in the same city and college with me. :))
Lulie

o

Dated about 6 years before we got married, lived together for close to 3.

Marriage lasted 2.5 years.

Oh well.

o

dated 6 months , engaged a year and a half and married for 4 years.

o

Were we supposed to date...we married after 10 days (ROFL).

THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ALL YOU VIEWERS OUT THERE. God has blessed us, whether we deserved it or not and have been extremely happy for 20 years.

o

We dated for a year and a half, and were engaged for a year and half. But we knew each other for more than a decade before we started dating.

o

We, too broke all the rules. Met online in August, saw each other for the first time in person that December -- moved in together in April and married that fall. Everyone thought we had lost our minds, but we didn't care! After 5+ years, we're still absolutely crazy about each other.

o

We dated for 11 months, engaged for 5 months(because we wanted to be married on St. Patrick's Day)and married now for almost 2 years.

o

3 weeks, and I echo whitfulone's words. But it has worked for us, we're comming up on our 24th year.
j

o

We dated for 8 months before getting engaged & then were engaged for 14 months. So 22 months total dating. We've been married now almost 8 1/2 yrs.

o

This post confirms my suspicions- sometimes it works out even if you only dated a short time before you get married. Sometimes it doesn't work out even if you dated a long time before you got married.

My parents just celebrated 30 years of marriage on Monday. They met in May of 1972, got married in February of 1973 and had me in January of 1974.

My hubby and I were dating about 11 months when we got married, baby came along 3 months after (oopsy!) and we just celebrated our first year of marriage last month. Today is exactly two years since we met. Been a crazy ride so far, but we are pretty happy, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we fall into the first category, like my parents!

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

o

We were introduced on a blind date. We dated casually for a year, more seriously for another 1 1/2 yrs.. He asked me to marry him and we "wore" the engagement thing for another 2 1/2 yrs..

Celebrated our tenth last June. There've been up and downs, but even in the tough times I knew I trusted him and loved his sense of humor. Marry brains and humor... when the goin' gets tough it's the "glue" that will keep you together. It's what allows you to look carefully at your marriage and emerge unscathed, with greater appreciation!

JMO

o

3 years here and if it were up to me we'd still be dating...Kathy - who will have 20 years in this year.

o

9 months 54 years june 26th and she still makes my heart skip a beat everytime I look at her.

o

One and a half years - we're celebrating our 35th anniversary this month and are very grateful for our blessings.

cocooner

o

Met in November, had our first date the second week of March, moved in together in mid-April, bought a house together in December, never did do the ceremony thing. been togerther 15 years.

o

We were high school sweethearts...dated for 6 years, and married at 22, once we finished college. We've been married 7 years now, and it's been awesome :)

If it's going to work, it will work, regardless of how long you've been dating beforehand, IMO.

o

6 months and that was 20 years ago. Met in March and married in September.
Judy

o

let's see- we did a court-house elopement after the fourth year, had our public hand-fasting the following year, bought ourselves a tiny little shack in an unfashionable zip code, and had a formal, sit-down dinner type wedding for our parents just this past year... august will be the beginning of our 7th year together.

and it was so much fun we've decided that we're going to get remarried every two or three years forever ;)

o

We met in college when we were 19 and got married when we were 23. (Now that seems so young to me!!) We have been married for 18 years (3 children) and I feel closer to him now than I ever have.

o

Met on June 6, 1994
First Date June 8, 1994
Proposed July 23, 1994
Married September 3, 1994

September 3, 2004 was married 10 yrs and thus far no fights!

Queenie

o

9 months. Married 30 years.
Kathy

o

Dated 11 months, I was right out of high school,(age 17, turned 18 the next month),he turned 19, the day before we married and had finished his first year of college. That will be 34 years ago this June, I think it's going to work...lol

o

Not long enough, only 4 months before we got married - my mother was dying and we rushed into it (at the courthouse).........needless to say, we are splitting up four years later - he cheated - he feels like he is in "prison"....

o

didn't date at all, i met my husband in a chat room online. We talked on and off just as online buddies as i talked to everyone else, i was in a relationship he was in a marriage of convenience. I ended my toxic relationship and he ended his marriage of convenience and we just started talking more just about things we were going through and we became really close, we exchanged numbers talked on the phone alot, all this was over a period of a year, then he flew from TN to meet me and came back a couple times next thing we knew we were married after two meetings, married now for a little over a yr, things are going good, with my first husband i did it the traditional way. we met in the army and dated for about a yr then got married, but i dont really think it matters if you think you know them or not or the length of time you think you are spending to get to know them because the truth of the matter you never really know a person

o

My wife and I dated for 2 months before we got engaged and then were married 4 months later.
Going on 10 years strong now.

o

Dated (I say dated, but actually living together and had a child) for 7 years and then got married. Married one year now and things have never been better.

o

We dated for three years before getting married. We didn't live together until after the wedding. For nearly two of those three years we lived in different countries because we were both active duty military.

We've been married nearly 14 years now.

o

We dated one year, lived together for 18 months, and have been married 26 years (27 in June). I'd call that 30 years of happiness!

o

Our first date was February 3 and we were married the following January! We knew each other less than a year when we got married and now we are still going strong!

-Stella

o

We were engaged after 6 months, married as soon as I graduated.

o

He asked me to marry him the day after we met, and he was dead serious. Of course, I said "No, you don't even know me!". We married 3 years later, on the anniversary of the day we met - St. Patrick's Day. We celebrated our 11th anniversary last St. Paddy's.

o

6 months from the time we met to when we were married. We just celebrated 22 years last month.
Judy

o

Met in November, married in June the following year. Been married for 12 years.

o

began "married life" lst day we met (staying every nite at each others' house, helping each other, buying stuff together)- - officially married after 11 months (for insurance/legal reasons) - 23 years married.

I was widowed in my lst marriage & learned importance of being officially married. in that marriage: dated 2 weeks, lived together 2 years, married 4 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here