Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Long Have You Been Married?

Posted by SheliaNC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 02 at 11:20

I have been married 25 1/5 yrs. to a very understanding, hard working, and caring man.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Long Have You Been Married?

In April, my sweetie, DH and I have been married 30 years. I will say the first five were the least of the best. Both of us are hard headed and self-reliant. The last ten years have been so very wonderful. Our two kids are out of the house and we have been on a honeymoon.

o

I have been married two years. This will be our third year. :-) We have been together for seven years!

o

We got Married October 2nd, 2000

Still newlyweds here! (somedays)

o

Since May 19, 2001... I think that makes me the most naive newbie here! LOL guess I'll have a lot to learn from you guys!

o

Will be 12 years on April 22. HA! And they said we'd never see our first anniversary.

o

26 years but we lived together a few years before that.

o

We got married on Dec. 23, 2000, but we lived together for 2 1/2 years before that, and dated for a year before that.

o

We have been married for 39 and a half years...lots of ups and downs but has been smooth sailing since the kids grew up and moved away from home and we both retired.

o

31 years last August. Neither one of us wants to start over with new partners at this stage of the game LOL...And to all you newlyweds out there COMPROMISE, COMPROMISE..It's one of the biggest factors in keeping your marriage together

o

Coosie, we are same! 2 years married, together over 7 years.

We don't have kids so I wonder how that will affect our marriage over the years.

o

Jamie-Our Anniversary is April 21, 2001! So not even a year yet. It's gone by so fast I can hardly believe it!

o

We got married June 24, 2000 and celebrated 5 years of being a couple in Oct of 2001!

o

We were married 14 years on February 6. Had kids with us for the first 5 or 6. Last 7 or 8 have been great. We've really gotten SPOILED! LOL

o

we will have been married 2 years Oct.7

o

28 years this April!! Doesn't seem possible since I still feel like I'm 21.

o

I admire all of you with your happy marriages. Mine had it's ups and downs, but unfortunately the downs won out. Many times I think my biggest regret in life is not having someone to grow old(er) with. Since I live alone, I tell myself it's great not having to answer to anyone, keep my checkbook the way I want, come and go as I please, and put as much garlic and onions in the stew as I like. But the truth is I miss the companionship, and I know that feeling won't go away.
My parents recently celebrated 64 years together. How I admire them for being blessed with finding each other.
--ann in NH
"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me..."

o

Ann ... it ain't over till its over. There may still be someone in your future. The crazy thing about life is that we never know what it holds. You sound like a woman that has much to offer. I've seen 80 year olds get married. How long were you married? Its always sad when a marriage ends because it always starts with so many hopes and dreams for the future, but sometimes it is impossible to maintain. I am sure that everyone here will attest to the roller coaster ride ... especially the ones that have been married for a long time.

o

5 years here. I guess we're just getting out of the "no wake" zone. Time to open 'er up,eh?

o

Thanks, RosieL for the kind words. We were married for almost 23 years and have 3 wonderful kids. Shortly after we divorced, he married his soulmate, but he and I remained friends. Let me tell you, if there is one bit of advice I can give regarding the end of a marriage, it's to try your darndest to keep on good terms with your ex! It sure makes life a whole lot easier! Unfortunately he passed away a year ago. Even now I think of things I might have done differently in our marriage, even though it was doomed from the beginning. But the kids and I have a lot of wonderful memories of our family life.
--ann in NH
"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me..."

o

will be 15 yrs, this coming aug.

o

It will be 20 years for me this coming April 3. I must say that the longer we are married, the better it gets. But in the beginning it was hard. I was a single parent before my marriage and had an 8 year old son. DH was happy to take Matthew as his own and legally adopted him a year after we married. There was a lot of adjusting to do, but we got through it and had another son in 1986. Couldn't imagine my life without DH and our sons and I hope that we will be blessed with many more years together.

o

five years this friday.....since he warned me from day 1 that he never remembers dates, i figured it wouldn't hurt to have a reminder such as valentine's day and if he happens to say happy anniversary on valentine's day instead like last year, well, that's ok ;o)

o

We got married on May 11, 1996. We have been together since 1989 and we were high school sweethearts. We have actually grown up together and he is my very best friend.

o

Four months, as of yesterday.

o

We've been married eight months, been together 7 years. Never lived together (I loved living alone). It was so weird when we came back from our honeymoon - we had to stay with his parents until our apartment was ready - doing things like getting ready for bed, as if it were a rite of passage. I liked the newness of it, though, as if this were finally allowed! LOL

My parents and grandparents were both divorced, but that never worried me. My dad whispered to me when we were dancing at my wedding reception, "I think you guys are going to make it. You are going to beat the odds." That meant a lot to me.

o

22 years this april.....

o

A little over 27 years... after knowing him for just a few months and most of that was long distance.

o

We will be married 47 years in April, have four sons and two daughters, 10 gransdaughters and four grandsons and two great grandsons. The first few years I wouldn't have given our marriage a snowballs chance in he!!. He was career Air Force and very ridged. I finally had to tell him that I was not one of his troops and the family was not his squadron. It took awhile, but he finally softened up, at least with the kids and I. He still has an attitude with everyone else.

o

Since August 12, 1972. Doesn't seem like that long. It scares me that time is flying like it does!! We are getting OLD.
Lulie

o

10 years as of June 20th. We dated for 6 months before we got married, but we knew each other and were friends for 4 years before that. It seems weird, but I've known Dave for over half my life now! We have fur-kids, Aleksander and Anastasia (both Huskies) and B'Elanna (a Rottweiler) and just recently lost Kang, another Rottweiler, in July. It was the hardest thing, we had him for only 6 years, but we miss him terribly. It's good that we have each other to get through things like that. We also have 2 iguanas and a gecko, but they are my babies only. I love being married to Dave, he's my best friend and lover.

o

7 and 1/2 yrs.

o

I have been married since December 9, 2002 to a man I have dated off and on for almost 10 years. At our wedding I came into the Etta James classic "At Last". Needless to say our family and friends thought it was very fitting. I plan to come here often for much needed advice, but so far it has been great.

The New Mrs. Pointer

o

DH and I married on May 10, 1997, so we've been married for almost 6 years. But we dated for a year before we got married, and were friends for a year before we dated! We really knew each other well! Marriage has never been hard for us, and the time has just flown by....

Dawn

o

25 years this coming November. We married early and both kids are out and we're in our mid 40's
But we are on the down side of that roller coaster ride as my wife is showing signs of "itchyness" she says its menopause, I say its boredom. Either way, I'm working hard to keep it alive. She is the love of my life

o

It will be 23 years this June. I've been working on a memory book for his parents today and I guess I've finally realized that we're not so young anymore. But he's still the one I want to kiss me goodnight, so being middle-aged isn't so bad.

o

33 years in August

o

28 years and counting. We continue to hold hands while watching t.v. or walking and still very passionate in the you-know-what department.

o

it's been sooo long. June 17, 1967, married while a Junior in high school, age 17. Wow, I was so young..too young! Does anyone get married this young now, LOL? (and I wasn't pregnant! LOL)

June 17, 2003, it will be 36 years.

Vi - congratulations on #47!

o

I been married 18 years, just made 18 years on June 14.

o

16 Years today!!! Good marriage and we just moved from a mobile home lot (small) to 10 acres in the country. Our 4 children, 3 dogs (adopted them when we moved)and ourselves just love it. It has also brought our family closer together. We now talk and have fun in the evenings after dinner.

o

Eight years next week July 16th :)

o

July 9th was 31 for us. We married when I was 17 he was 19 (I was not pregnant) our 3 sons are all out of college and one their own, we have worked together all these years, 2 of our sons work with us, It's been a wonderful life for us, but it does take work to keep it that way.....

o

May 19th was 13 wonderful years for me. It is my second marriage.

o

27 years as of tomorrow - December 18th.

Sheryl - NJ

o

Wow!!!! I am surprised at how many long term marriages there are out there. We've been married 30 years. We've been together so long the lines have blurred between where I stop and he begins or who is his original family and who is mine. His sister and I are the best of friends for all these years and she is my sister in every way except blood. His Mom and Dad are mine. Sometimes he'll be telling a story about a time before we met and he will say "Remember" and I have to laugh because I know how it feels .... as if we have always been together. Our relationship is the strongest force in my life. It is a blessing that has enriched my life in every aspect. Made me who I am today. Evolved into parenthood, passed through youth into middle age and now heading toward the finish line. The joys have been greater, the sorrows easier to bear. Don't know how we got so lucky. We started out two kids in love.

o

25 1/2 years. Lots of ups and downs. Lots of memories. Lots of I love yous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here