SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krissys_gw

How did you meet?

KrissyS
22 years ago

DH and I met at a car crash, I was walking to the bank to drop of the deposites when I saw a car wreck, I ran to see if everyone was ok, everyone was except hubby who had a small cut on his head, I stayed with him while they checked him out(the cut is a small heart shaped scar now) turns out he was in Indiana, visiting some friends of mine and was on his way to a party that I was going to after work, not to shabby considering that DH lived in TN :) After that amazing night we started talking on the internet a lot because our first months phone bills were $823.00 and $541.00... opps! LOL

Comments (34)

• SheliaNC
    22 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

DH & I were set up as blind dates through his cousin who married a friend of mine. We dated two weeks when he proposed to me and of course I said yes. However, we were engaged a year before we married.

• paula_pa
    22 years ago

DH works at my gym. I workout out first thing in the morning right after I roll out of bed and I sweat a lot - it's not pretty. How can a woman resist a man who has seen her at her worst and still wants to go out with her? He was too shy to talk to me though and had to have a co-worker of his approach me. He only wanted her to feel me out (if I was available, etc) but she just spilled the beans. I ended up having to approach him.

• Related Discussions

Thoughts of Love :))

Q

Comments (10)
    My DH had lost his dear fiance' & I hadn't been in anything serious for 9 years. Mutual friends set us up on a blind date; just hanging out with other people. We all went to a social dinner, then to a bowling alley to play pool, & then everybody went home. DH & I decided to take a walk on the beach; (we both lived in Ft. Lauderdale at the time). We walked & talked for hours. We realized it was 4am. He drove me home and get this, he ASKED me if he could kiss me goodnight! I knew then I loved him. We have spent 5 Valentines together & in March, we will be married 5 yrs. Since then, we have been in the process of adopting our 4 year old grandaughter & we have a 2 year old son (suprise!) I am 45 & also have a 21 yr. old & a 26 yr. old! It's been a rough haul, but we wouldn't change a thing! It's a God Deal!
    ...See More

How did you meet your significant other?

Q

Comments (63)
    amck, all my friends here "dated" Elery right along with me. I posted pictures of our first meeting at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, later pictures of him riding my horse the first time I took him to the farm, more pictures of him driving the backhoe and manure spreader at Dad's direction, LOL. I posted more pictures when he bought me the food processor for my birthday, only about a month after we started dating, I nearly sent that back. There was a whole 'nother thread and set of pictures when he proposed to me the third time. We were on the deck of a restored sailing schooner on Grand Traverse Bay when he talked the captain into letting me steer the boat, then got down on one knee and proposed in front of everyone. I was so embarrassed I said yes immediately. I told him I should have said "I hope you can return that ring". He said I should have because then he could have gotten free "sympathy drinks" all night and talked me into it later! My wedding pictures were posted here, we got married outside at a local inn and no one was there except us, my kids and grandkids, my parents and my boss who is also one of my best friends. last fall there were pictures of our "reception", some of the members here attended that too. It's been a forum romance/wedding/marriage all the way through, and you could probably still find some of the threads on the gallery. And yes, he's a great guy and I'm dam*ed lucky to have found him. It only took me 52 years to find a man who truly believes that I am Empress of the Universe. I think I'll keep him. Annie
    ...See More

Just for fun....how did you meet your SO?

Q

Comments (71)
    It was not love at first sight. I thought he was too serious, aloof and self assured. It was the summer before my senior year of college and his sister and I had become friendly while working at the same store. He was 2 years older, teaching bio-chem and every now and then he would come into the shop to give his sister a ride home after work. He barely acknowledged my presence, giving the impression that he had better things to do then make small talk with his younger sister's friend. Yet I noticed that as the summer progressed he came in more frequently and even managed an occasional hello. My brother had a new boat and we made plans to spend the day at my parents' lake house, picnicking and water skiing. My girlfriend asked if she could bring her brother and since we needed an extra driver and car I agreed. Spending the day together I realized that I had misread him. Yes he was serious. I was right about that. He still is. But he was also shy, quiet, thoughtful with a keen intellect and a a strong inner desire to do good, to help, to teach. We dated for 2 years and became engaged while I was in grad school. I graduated that August and a week later he left for medical school. I applied for jobs in the same city so that we could get married. I found a job as a librarian and we married at the end of his second year. As a new employee I wasn't entitled to vacation time so we planned our wedding for June because Flag Day was a city holiday and the library was closed. I even had to take a 'day without pay' so that I could get a long weekend. We married on Saturday and we both returned to work on Monday. We recently celebrated our 40th anniversary and DH will retire from his oncology practice soon. He is still serious and thoughtful with an inquisitive mind and a philosophical streak. I think it might be time to take an official honeymoon. This post was edited by maire_cate on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 6:04
    ...See More

How long did you date?

Q

Comments (54)
    began "married life" lst day we met (staying every nite at each others' house, helping each other, buying stuff together)- - officially married after 11 months (for insurance/legal reasons) - 23 years married. I was widowed in my lst marriage & learned importance of being officially married. in that marriage: dated 2 weeks, lived together 2 years, married 4 years.
    ...See More
  • tracymomof4
    22 years ago

me and my hubby met thru a radio date line thingy~ where you call in put your info into the system and then the system sorts out people they think you would like that meet your standards Bill was my 3rd match lol, danny the first one was a super sweet goodlooking guy but he had no ambition to do anything with his life he just sorta drifted from job to job. Steve the next guy was great, nice looking , great job just not my type i decided he would be a much better match for my best friend who had been widowed 3 years so i fixed them up and they are getting married next month ;), Bill had called and heard my intro on the date line, left me a message and phone number i heard the message liked the way he sounded and called him we lived about 45 minutes from each other and we talked everynight for about 3 hours each night before we actually met face to face. I knew after the 2nd actual date i would marry him , it took him longer to figure that out lol but we have been married for almost 2 years now.

• RosieL
    22 years ago

My summer job between college semesters.

• kathy_
    22 years ago

At a disco!! Lol! Neither of us would set a foot in such a place now. Kathy_

• trekaren
    22 years ago

We met when we both worked for IBM, we had travelled to Atlanta for training. He broke all my rules: never date someone you work with, never have long distance relationships, yada yada.

But the ones that break the rules are the ones we end up falling for. And we just celebrated 11 years last week!

• rotny
    22 years ago

My wife was my resident advisor my second year of school. We only dated for about 6 weeks and then I up and joined the Army. 5 years later we met again through a mutual friend. I introduced her to the folks and they liked her. Then she drove 14 hours round trip, every weekend, that entire summer to see me. I thought either this woman was some kinda' psycho or we were meant to be together. As it turned out the latter was true. Although she is a little nuts at times. But hey, I love her to death!!

• Chantel
    22 years ago

He was the captain on a whale watching boat. My family went and I was only going to drop DD off at the pier to go with them but decided to tag along. It was the closest thing to love at first sight I have ever experienced. Married 2 years now but dated 6.

• JanaLinn
    22 years ago

Boy Scout Camp!!! My dh and I were both on staff and got to be good friends. He did religious work out of the country for a few years and we wrote to each other, first as friends, then as more than. Got married four months after he got back.
    JanaLinn

• Angela_in_WI
    22 years ago

At a going away party at a bar for a coworker. I had seen him in meetings before and thought he was very cute, but assumed he was married or taken. He went up to one of our coworkers and asked who I was, and she was like dummy she works at our company (800+ employees so understandable). She then came up to me and told me he was checking me out. So I went up to him and bummed a smoke and we got to chatting. I called him later that night and left a message all drunk..lol He called me a couple days later and asked me out on a date. I moved in on the second date, we got married 2 years later and we now have been married 18 months and are expected our first baby in May!
    Angela

• cheryl_down_under
    22 years ago

Back in 1979 I went on a two-week cruise with a girl from work and I met Paul on the first night out. He got quite seasick and I didn't see him for a couple of days, but after that we were together and married almost 3 years to the day after our first meeting.

• ruthanna_gw
    22 years ago

At a bar. It's still owned by the same family but is now an upscale restaurant with a bar area instead of a bar that served sandwiches and nachos, etc.

• LianneNJ
    22 years ago

DH is a mechanic and my then vehicle was 4 years old, just the right age for everything to start going and it did, something new every 3 weeks or so and by the time all was fixed, we were an item :o)

• teresava
    22 years ago

By accident, in a bar/club, in college. I was out with my roommate, he was with his roommate. My roommate thought HIS roommate was cute so they started talking, and DH and I were kind of left by ourselves, so we started dancing. (kind of a "nothing better to do thing") Funny thing-the roommates relationship lasted all of a week or two! Ours is still going strong after almost 9 years!

• the4toofs
    22 years ago

My hubby and I met when we were 14 at a camp that the eighth grade class every year at our school went to for a week. We knew each other before that, but never really KNEW each other. Now we are both 30 and have been married for almost 8 years. Have two awesome kids who are 7 and 3. We have a great life.

Have a great day everyone!!!

• waddles28
    22 years ago

At a bar, I was working and he was frequenting and I didn't like him the first time I met him - he was women bashing. Now we have been married for 5 years and the bar is closing this Friday.

• pauline13
    22 years ago

Must be something in the air when one turns 14. I met my husband when I was 14 at a church youth group, then found out we were in the same school (but had no classes together). I was his first "love." I wasn't allowed to actually date then, but could go on chaparoned outings--you know, with parents along. My mother thought he was wonderful, and so did I until I realized how much she liked him. That's all it took. I dumped him for someone else, but not before stabbing him in the leg with a pencil. Found out later that he tried several times to contact me, but never was able to. In the meantime, 43 years went by. He did his thing, and I did mine. Then a girl at work asked me to look at a website called classmates.com. I did, and on a lark, I posted my name with my school.

Two weeks later, I got this really strange e-mail at work. You guessed it, he found me! We've been married almost two years now (and he still won't let me near a pencil).

• anita9
    22 years ago

Hey Pauline 13, I used to work at classmates.com and they LOVE to hear stories like that, if you want to email them and haven't already, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

My fiancee and I aren't married yet but here is how we met: my old roommate's old roommate's roommate was his old roommate, and he had a going-away party and we met there. My FH had kicked the guy out of their house because he was a jerk, and he just showed up at the party to be nice and show that there were no hard feelings. The guy IS a jerk, but he is what brought us together so we kind of like him now.

• phyllis_philodendron
    22 years ago

Oh Pauline, what a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

My DH and I met in English class in college. it was a 4-hour linguistics class that sucked. There was a break in between and I used to see him hanging out. I had just been dumped by my former boyfriend and was depressed and lost a lot of weight and DH said he first noticed me hiking up my too big pants and thought that was kind of cute. (I was so embarrassed!) Before long he was sitting next to me in class, offering me tea (which I found out later had a touch of whiskey in it - i smelled something suspicious and politely declined). Soon we would hang out together during breaks and then one day just never went back to class. We dated for 6 1/2 years (long distance twice) and got married last summer.

• Vickey
    22 years ago

I met DH in highschool through a friend. We went bowling as a group (inviting the boys we wanted to hook up with). She hooked up with HIM. Yes they started dating. Anyway we became best of friends then, and stayed that way...just good friends for about 5 years. Then one night...let's just say that we were both horney.....anyway we've been together ever since. So I married my best friend.

Vickey

• Tracy_in_IN
    21 years ago

Camping on the beach outside of San Diego. I had a ring stuck on my finger and it was turning blue. My sister panicked and ran to another campsite to get help, and he came to the rescue. He removed the ring and was so sweet I couldn't sleep thinking about him (this happened at night). The next morning I saw him and he approached me without knowing that I was the "girl" he helped the night before. I asked him if he was married, and he said, "No. Let's go get married". He would be mad if he knew I told you that part!

• Zianite
    21 years ago

Online in a chatroom.

We chatted for almost 2 years before finally meeting!

Second night he was there, he proposed; I accepted!

Two years later we got married!

Not everything on the internet is bad! LOL

:-) ...Kate

• tracey_nj6
    21 years ago

1991, in a bar. After his softball game, he & his fire dept buddies went to the bar. This was my first night out after 10 months had passed from ending a relationship with a guy that played head games. Don circled the bar, kept coming by, asking for my phone number. I was reluctant. Besides, his softball uniform number had a '69' on the back; ugh! My friend thought he was cute, and that I should go for it. I did, but kept saying to her How can anyone get serious with a guy with a '69' on his back?!?". We were married in 96. She'll never let me forget saying that...

• vicki_Indiana
    21 years ago

It was at a gas station. LoL... I was with some friends and had just finished my first year of college. He was making wise cracks to me, and I thought he was a jerk at first. Come to find out 25 yrs later, that I was "wrong"!! BUT.. I didn't discover that until LAST year... KIDDING.. just kidding!!

• Meghane
    21 years ago

I'll tell it the way one of our best men (yes, we had 2) told it at our reception, 10 years ago June 20th! Bill and Dave (my DH) were best friends for years (still are). Bill gets up at the reception for his toast and told the story (in Bill's voice):

Dave was talking about this really cute cashier that he works with (that's ME!), so I said, "Why don't you ask her out?" Dave said "I did" but in a voice that didn't sound too happy. I was prepared for the worse, but still asked "AND...?"

(brief silence)

"Her mother won't let her."

Of course, at that point, the whole room busted out laughing, even my Mom who was very embarassed. I was 16 when Dave asked me out, and he was 23 and had gone out drinking with my Mom (and other coworkers, sometimes me too) after work almost every Thursday night. Turns out, drinking buddies aren't the best people to ask to date your daughter, especially with a large age difference. So we became friends and when I was 18, I was allowed to go out with him.

We got engaged 6 months later and married when I was 20.

Pauline, I was 14 when I started working at the store where I met Dave, so I've known him for over half my life. Lucky me!

• eileen_launonen
    21 years ago

I got a job in 1987 with an Electricial Contacting Co (secretary) John was an electrician with this shop unaware until years later the first time he saw me he said "Who is that girl: for im it was loe at first sight .ion the other hand had no clue and we became good friends for 5 yrs...yes 5 yrs..hes very shy. One day he says Hey Eileen wanna go to dinner Sat night I said yeh whos going? (thought he ment the work group) he said just me and you I said your kidding right then I realized he wasnt! I said yes we dated 10 months seen each other EVERYDAY and 10mo later I walked down the aisle this October it will be 10years!! and I love him more and more each day!!!!!

• babyblues7
    21 years ago

At a gas station at 4 in the morning. Apparently we both were too lazy to get gas on our way home from work the day before. He approached me, I gave him my pager #, he kept calling until I finally went out with him. From the first date on he introduced my as his "girlfriend". Moved in a few months later, got married and had a baby. Still going strong. He's the only man in my life that ever truly loved me and cares about me more than anything else. For this I'm thankful for.

• caroline94535
    18 years ago

Oh Goodness, I was such a #$%%*!

I met (nabbed and decided to marry) my DH at the NCO Club at Dover AFB, DE. We were both active duty at the time.

Occasionally the Club would host "Oldies Music" night. My gal-pals and I rarely missed these nights. We'd go over about 9:30 p.m. so wed be there before the swing shift cops got off duty about 11:15. Once they arrived, things could get lively.

On this particular night, IÂd gone over early with two of my male buds. The place was packed. A large group of cops started pulling tables up so they could sit together. They were next to the table where The Buds and I were. The evening progressed; every one was dancing, laughing, drinking, and having fun.

A gorgeous guy was giving one of his cohorts a hard time. He was sitting directly behind me; I could hear their conversation. I leaned back on my chair and "bumped" into his. I told him if he felt the need to challenge someone, he should choose a person that could give as good as they get.

He leaned toward me, twirled his chair around next to mine, and said "Oh yeah?" with his blue eyes twinkling. "Yeah!" He asked if I was "with" either of the two guys I was sitting with. "No."

Bud 1 wandered off, entranced by some blonde no doubt. After a while Bud 2 decided we should go back to the dorm. We werenÂt dating, but we hung out a lot and he usually "checked up" on me about closing time. He also liked to play "love-life monitor." LOL

I told him to go on; I'd be fine. Bud 2 gives the cop a "look" and says, "Do you really think you should stay here with him?" Future DH told him to run along; his dorm was next to ours; heÂd get me home safe and sound.

He didÂbut I do believe he was a bit worse for wear after the experience.

That was Aug. 29, 1989Âwe remained a steady item from that day through our separate TDYs (often apart for 4-6 months at a clip) and my retraining and PCS move to England for a year. We married in 1992, nearly three years after IÂd decided he was "the one." I didnÂt share this info with him at the time. He was smart; I knew heÂd eventually figure it out. During those three years we were on separate continents for nearly two years. We never lived together until after the wedding.

Bud 2 and I are still friends and talk occasionally. I think he still "disapproves." The other cop DH is still a one of DH's best friends. He visits us every chance he gets.

There are times I could wallop the man; but I'm still glad I picked him! We've been married nearly 14 years.

• LynnZee
    18 years ago

Sophmores in high school, had the same history class, I thought he was turning 17 when he was turning 16 and he didn't want to tell me he was younger than me. Anyway, we went together, off and on, for 8 years, got married in 1970, that makes 36 years this month, and he still tries to use the "robbing the cradle" joke....come on, we're talking 9 months here...Lynn

• stella_2006
    18 years ago

I was drunk in a bar while I was in college and I walked past him and thought he was someone else and said, "HI!". My friend and I went to the bathroom and when I came out he was right there with a drinks for me and my friend. By our third date I decided that I loved him (but did NOT tell him!!!! He said it first after knowing me a month.) In less than a year we were married.

• verenap
    18 years ago

How we met...Oh this is romantic. We met at a pig processing plant...

...I had just turned 19, was with my first bf who I'd started going out with in grade 12, (call me a late bloomer, I was always more interested in horeses than boys), and was young and innocent. I had been out on my own for almost a year (moved out and got a job as soon as I graduated high school).

I started at the processing plant, and within a week managed to get transfered off the cutting floor, and back into "pack off" (where all the boxes of meat are sorted and stacked) where I was doing the very easy job of scanning bar codes, wrapping pallets, and putting a big label on them.

He was 31, a year out of a common-law relationship (with two children), and was a 'dirty old man'. He drove the fork lift.

Just before lunch on my first day back there (the only girl working with 12 guys) he came up to me and said (with a grin and a twinkle in his eye) "I'm not going to bring you any more work, unless you give me some candy"...so at lunch I went to the vending machine and bought a box of smarties. (Being young and innocent, I thought that was all he was suggesting.)

I worked back there for 3 months, before I started to catch on to what those 'boys' (all 12 of them) were saying, and 3 months more, blushing at most of their conversations. We worked together for a year, flirting back and forth. I'd pretend to flash him some leg, and he'd chase me around the department like Pepe Le Pew, while I tried to run away like that poor Sylvester, laughing so hard I could barely stand.

Meanwhile, BF and I were still going out. In hind sight, it wasn't a healthy relationship, it lacked any respect. He would constantly push me to do 'things' I wasn't comfortable with (and I would cave in), had no regard for my safety (would demand I drive 2 hours to pick him up in a snowstorm, at 2am, after I'd put in a 12hr shift), and was very controlling. I was 19, decided I wanted to see the inside of a bar, try a drink (had never had one before) and he told me I wasn't "allowed", then decided to take me to his college Christmas party, purposely got me drunk and then...well I believe that's classified as date rape. I stayed with him for two months after that, and after he proposed I gave my head a shake and broke up with him.

I had been boarding with my bf's grandpa, and didn't want to go back there, so, my (now) DH, offered his basement as a hideout, until everything cooled down and I could find a place of my own. I stayed there for a week, then rented a little trailer.

Three months later I moved in with him. My parents hated him before they ever met him. Their precious daughter had broken up with a good Christian young man (if they only knew) and was now 'shacked up' with a non-christian father of two, who was 12 years her senior. It took a year before they would even meet him. Four months after that, we got engaged, three months after that we got married. (We gave out boxes of Smarties as wedding favors.) We've been married for 2 1/2 years now, have a son who's almost one. Life is good. Dad and DH regularly go out for lunch together, and mom always refers to him as her 'favorite son-in-law' and brags about him to all her friends.

We are best friends and do a lot of fishing and hunting together. He comes out and plays in the dirt with me when I'm gardening. He treats me like a queen. I always laugh when I tell people that we met at a pig processing plant...

• rosewood42
    18 years ago

BRAVO to Zianite, My husband and I also met on the internet two years ago. We met on a chat site called paltalk. We talked just as friends for about a yr online and on the phone. The second time he came to see me he proposed and I accepted. We have no regrets and the marriage is great. No children living at home even makes the marriage better. You are so right everyone on the internet isn't bad. It doesn't matter whether you meet a person face to face or on the internet. You never really know a person anyway, so you have to trust your gut instinct and the MAN above and go for it.

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

Fraturnity dance

• amberrrs
    17 years ago

Things weren't working out with a guy I was dating, so he tell me he is going to give my e-mail to another guy he knows. I was mad, I mean what is this,now you are passing me around to your friends. He gave my e-mail to this guy, the guy started to write to me, I am going along with it. After e-mailing and talking for the phone for a while, we decided to meet. He tells me he never met the guy that gave him my e-mail, his sister-in-law knows him, that's how he got his e-mail.

Anyway, at this point in my life I was tired of dating, decided that I am going to meet this guy and that's it, I am going to stop dating for a while.

We met, I decided I am just going to be myself, I am tired of trying to be nice. So I told him on our first date, about the time I got drunk and vomited out of my friend's SUV and a cop was standing right there. I actually, thought he would not call me anymore, but he keept calling and we keept going out, about 1month of dating the proposed. married for 4 yrs.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012