Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is marriage counseling like?

Posted by tree_oracle (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 06 at 22:10

My wife and I are about to start marriage counseling and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm not going into this with a positive attitude. The counselor just seems like a middle-man to me. I relay the problems to him and he relays them to my wife and vice-versa. I don't see why my wife and I cannot discuss our problems directly and solve them. However, I'm willing (desperate) to try anything right now. Has anyone had any luck with this? What's it like? I expect a knock-down, drag-out session between my wife and I for the first couple of visits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is marriage counseling like?

A lot will depend on the state of your marriage and your counselor. Many times the counselor will not deal with your "problems" but with how you both deal with each other and life in general. The reasons you guys can not just discuss your problems directly have more to do with your personalities and fighting styles than the problems themselves.

Good luck

o
RE: What is marriage counseling like?

You know what? The counselor is a "middle man". But is that really a bad thing? Sometimes its just too hard to say things face-to-face, and an anonymous person (counselor) makes things easier.

Its not who it is said to, so much that it is being said at all. That's the important thing. The counselor is there for you both. Don't forget that. Seize this opportunity.

About 7 yrs ago, my husband and I went to a counselor. I went first, and found out that even if he wasn't willing, I should if I felt the need. I did. But I learned a lot. After several sessions on my own, hubby went too. The counselor was just as "there" for him as he was for me. We both found him to be an "impartial" third party that helped us get over some "inertia" and move forward -- for better or worse.

Try it, I think you may find it may help. The one lesson I really learned from counseling -- doing nothing, is doing *something*. Doing nothing benefits no one.. it just lets fate decide your life rather than taking your life in hand.

I think it could really be a benefit to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here