Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for dealing with boring Super Bowl party?

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 17:29

No, I can't get out of it, it's at DH's family and I have to go. Other than eating for many hours, is there any way to survive this? No interest in football, whatsoever.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for dealing with boring Super Bowl party?

If you do any handcrafts, like crocheting, knitting, or patchwork, it is an ideal way to make up for the boredom while yet seeming to be there with the family. You have my entire sympathy. I have always been glad that DH is neither athletic nor interested in being a spectator!

o

I go to parties almost every year and have never had any real interest in the game. Aren't there other people or even kids there to talk to? The food makes it for me; I really don't care that I don't like football... as long as there's good food and friends, it's a party!

o

I'm always struggling with my weight, so this is many hours of pure temptation. It's two hours there and two back so that is also something I'm not looking forward to. The rest of of DH's family all live close together and know each other well, so I can only make small talk. That really palls after three or four hours.

o

Yeah, I wouldn't like that much driving in one day either... But, The Super Bowl is one of those days a year that you should forget your diet and just live it up with the food! If there are enough women (or guys) that don't watch the game, maybe you guys could play cards or an adult board game.

Another idea, (if you're not the one driving), why don't you have a few drinks. Conversations tend to flow a lot easier with the in-laws when you've got a couple beers (or some wine) in you. Hey, you asked for suggestions...

o

For sports parties and the likes that I'm not very into I've learned to use mental planning. Looks like I'm watching, but in reality I'm thinking about a project I'm doing at home or just planning one, planning the weeks food menu, day dreaming etc. Could you try something like that?

o

Another thing that gets me a little interested in the game is if there is a pool going on. Now, of course, I'm not going to suggest gambling money... but you could still have a pool going on for something else or have one of those number boards things where everyone gets a square or two ...if your points match the points of the game you win. Believe it or not, I think I won last year... it had me watching the game at least at the end to make sure the points didn't change. Am I making any sense???????

If you have some kind of stake in the game.. you're more prone to get exciting watching it... even if you don't like football. By the way, who is playing, who's expected to win... and is there anything else I should know so I don't look like a total ****))) at the party?

o

Pittsburgh Steelers V/S Arizona Cardinals...Steelers are the favorites...

o

Thanks, dotz!

o

Go to a movie.

o

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I just went "with a good heart" and did have a nice time.

o

It was on tv here - in Sydney - can't believe it ! Maybe there are enough US people here to watch it - but I can't follow what's going on ! There was an Aussie playing in it, I believe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here