SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissas_gw

confused about my dear SIL

melissas
16 years ago

My SIL has gone above and beyond the call of duty with my mil and fil. My mil has alzheimers, and my sil and her husband built a large addition on to their home and moved my in-laws in with very little help from my husband and his brothers. I think she is heroic, and I really respect her.

My problem is this: when my in-laws moved in, my sil bought them a new washer for $700. At Christmas she informed her siblings of this, and told them they each now owe her $140. I am now conflicted! I don't like that she spent money on our behalf without telling us; I don't like that She spent so much money for a washer for a woman who won't be using it much longer; I don't like that she TOLD us we now owe her money; I don't like that we are now going to try to stretch our tight budget to come up with the money. I want to be the steward of my money. On the other hand my sil has been very generous with my in-laws, and I don't want to complain about $140. My husband didn't say anything at all to her about it, because his younger brother went off on a tirade when my sil told them about the $140, and he didn't want to add to the quarreling. My in-laws don't need the money, and they could have paid for the washer on their own. Any thoughts?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource