SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleethart

Well Deserved Splurge or...

fleethart
18 years ago

First, the facts: DH is 43, I'm 32, we have 3 kids, one more due soon. We live in a rural area, dirt roads etc, horses, chickens, pets. Have 2 trucks and 2 sports cars already. I mentioned selling a truck to buy a station wagon, something that holds everyone in the family at the same time but the next thing I know, DH has bought himself a Dodge Viper with a $600/mo payment for a 9yo car. He thinks he/we can afford it because he just got a raise, but I do the bills and it would be nice to pay off the credit cards he uses.

Am I off base by thinking he has taken leave of his senses?

He honestly believes that he deserves this for himself and it in no way jeopardizes our marriage or finances. To him it makes complete sense. Myself, I suffer from shock, disbelief, and a complete lack of understanding. It's all I can do to behave in a civil manner to him and I am very upset. He says I am throwing away our marriage and creating problems because I am having a bad reaction to this thing. I feel like he has already made decisions by himself for himself w/o considering the rest of the family thereby creating a gulf.

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? HOw do other couples cope with such divergent opinions and spending habits? What constitutes a well deserved reward for working hard?

If I insist he get rid of it he will resent it for a very long time. On the other hand, I hate it and all the baggage this whole situation brings. Since he often buys vehicles impulsivly (w/o me), I hate the thought of what is next.

Any thoughts, folks?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource