Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hubby wants child. I'm fixed

Posted by pinkhill (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 11:20

I have three kids from a previous marriage. Husband and i are 40. I was fixed after third because of health problems. Hubby knew this and was fine with it. He has no kids, and never wanted any. I am his first marriage.
We have a great marriage in all ways. He's hard working, attentive lover, gentle soul, adores our kids.

But last night he said that he wishes we could have a child of our own. Then he joked it off like he was just goofing. I wish I could give him a child. He is a wonderful step dad. Kids think he's so cool. Actual statement from the seven year old.

But I physically cant. I feel so sad about denying him this. But it was something that he was adamant about when we dated and married. He did not want a bio kid because of family health history.

I'm not trying to dwell on this but I worry he will feel like I kept him from having this.

I asked him outright and he says he only wants kids with me, we have three and if we cant have another it's ok. He wouldnt want kids if it were another woman. His heart is bound to me. It's just a natural urge and we are lucky to have everything we do.

Anyway, any suggestions? Or advice to ease my sadness of this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hubby wants child. I'm fixed

"I'm not trying to dwell on this..."

Then stop doing it!

".... but I worry he will feel like I kept him from having this."

How many ways/times does he have to tell you he's OK with it?

Sounds to me as if you're seizing upon what you regard as mixed messages from hubby. They aren't mixed. He's said all along the way he's fine with things as they are. Nobody's denying anybody anything. Everything's clear and everybody's happy. I think you're fantasizing. I encourage you not to get to a place where he feels he can't talk with you about certain subjects because he's become wary of your obsessing about them. I suspect this is just one more way he's letting you know he thinks you're a great mom. Accept it for what it is. Don't use it for a launching pad or an indication that he wishes you were different. He's told you he doesn't.

Let it go. Be happy. Be the good wife and mom you already are.

Or....if it does turn into some huge deal....adoption awaits. Just don't make yourself nuts over something that's impossible for you to accomplish-- which is what your post seems to say you're doing.

Personally, I wish I was 35 again. I can't do that either, but I don't dwell on it. And my friends and family don't seem to mind.

o

thanks. I needed the butt kicking.

o

if you cannot have children then there is no point to agonize over it, you don't deny him anything, you simply can't have them! BUT you might consider adoption if two of you want to have children.

o

He will get over it, so will you. Everyone has regrets, but that is what they are, have to learn to live with it.

Children are hard work, you know this, they cost heaps of money, make you loose sleep, ruin your house, be mean to you when they are teens. Have messy bedrooms, then they leave and don't contact you. Reality check for you there...lol. And they are the "normal' ones.

Do you really see yourself having another child ?

o

I was fixed after third because of health problems. Hubby knew this and was fine with it ... But last night he said that he wishes we could have a child of our own.

You are not "denying" him anything. You were totally upfront with him before he married you and he 'knew this and was fine with it'.

If the two of you want a child of your own, it seems adoption would be the way to go. If he doesn't wish to adopt, I would drop it.

Either way, please don't beat yourself up about it. Let it go, enjoy him, enjoy your children, enjoy your life. :-)

o

Having another child (if you were still able to) would endanger your health. Does that not mean anything to your husband?

o

I don't get the part where you say you are "denying him" either. You both agreed before you were married, so why feel that way? From what you have posted it sounds like you have a very good and happy marriage and family. I would concentrate on that and not about what can not happen. Don't rock the boat when there is no need to. NancyLouise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here