Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting kitchen cabinets

Posted by wallrat (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 07 at 22:31

Has anyone had success in painting their cabinets? My are a fake wood look and I've tried sanding the glaze off and used Kiltz and Beahr primmer and I can still just scrape it off with my fingernail. Just doesn't stick. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting kitchen cabinets

Are they Formica? There is a product called Cabinet rescue other painters I know use with good results good luck

o

Hi wallrat

I can suggest several thing that will work. First being wash the doors really well with tsp,bleach and dish soap combined. Usually in one ice cream bucket 1/8 cup tsp and bleach and dish soap added to water. Wear rubber gloves as it is corrosive. Rinse several times and let dry thoroughly. Sand lightly and wipe well with a clean lint free cloth that has rubbing alchol, hydogine peroxide on it. Again let dry well. The other alternative is to use a tack cloth. you run the risk of leaving residue behind with a tack cloth Next apply an heavy duty oil based specialty primer. The local paint store will recommend to best one. Top with a really good quality oil based paint. The higher the gloss the harder the finsh but the more perfect the preperation must be. I usually settle for a semi-gloss. Keeping in mind that it takes oil based paints and primers a week to fully cure(harden). Also keep in mind that to darker you go in paint colors the longer it will take to dry and cure.

Hope that helps. Talk to you later

o

Glidden makes a paint called "Grabber". It is specifically made to be applied over glossy surfaces. I think if you follow the earlier instructions of cleaning and then put on the grabber, it will stay. I used the gabber paint on a high gloss painted ceiling that I didn't want to spend a whole day in sanding. After 7 years it's still there with absolutely no problems.

o

XIM product #1143 is supposed to be useful for such situations. Sold only at specialty paint stores and very expensive.

o

I live in a Manufactured House and the kitchen cabinets are called"Photo Wood". Impossible to sand and/or fix in any way shape or form. HELP!

o

If "photo wood" means papery faux wood grain on top of particle board, then it's just like the cabinets I'm currently painting.

o

I used the gel stain on mine, they were an ugly shade of yellowish looking fake wood. got some cherry and rubbed it right over without sanding and they look great!

o

bobbiep1924,

Treat them like regular wood as far as priming.
But.........
When it comes to sanding a REALLY light touch.Better if you didn't have to.
And...
More important when you clean them wipe on wipe off.
Do not let the cleaning solution sit on the photo wood or it will bubble up.

o

Yes!!! I painted my kitchen cabinets and I love them. My kitchen is a country rooster theme so I painted the top ones a sage and the bottom one a country brown. Not only did it look awesome with my theme but by painting the top cabinets a lighter color it make my kitchen look a lot bigger. I have never regretted painting them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here