Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallrat

Painting kitchen cabinets

wallrat
16 years ago

Has anyone had success in painting their cabinets? My are a fake wood look and I've tried sanding the glaze off and used Kiltz and Beahr primmer and I can still just scrape it off with my fingernail. Just doesn't stick. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• dee74
    16 years ago

Are they Formica? There is a product called Cabinet rescue other painters I know use with good results good luck

• nickie
    16 years ago

Hi wallrat

I can suggest several thing that will work. First being wash the doors really well with tsp,bleach and dish soap combined. Usually in one ice cream bucket 1/8 cup tsp and bleach and dish soap added to water. Wear rubber gloves as it is corrosive. Rinse several times and let dry thoroughly. Sand lightly and wipe well with a clean lint free cloth that has rubbing alchol, hydogine peroxide on it. Again let dry well. The other alternative is to use a tack cloth. you run the risk of leaving residue behind with a tack cloth Next apply an heavy duty oil based specialty primer. The local paint store will recommend to best one. Top with a really good quality oil based paint. The higher the gloss the harder the finsh but the more perfect the preperation must be. I usually settle for a semi-gloss. Keeping in mind that it takes oil based paints and primers a week to fully cure(harden). Also keep in mind that to darker you go in paint colors the longer it will take to dry and cure.

Hope that helps. Talk to you later

• coolvt
    16 years ago

Glidden makes a paint called "Grabber". It is specifically made to be applied over glossy surfaces. I think if you follow the earlier instructions of cleaning and then put on the grabber, it will stay. I used the gabber paint on a high gloss painted ceiling that I didn't want to spend a whole day in sanding. After 7 years it's still there with absolutely no problems.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

XIM product #1143 is supposed to be useful for such situations. Sold only at specialty paint stores and very expensive.

• bobbiep1924
    12 years ago

I live in a Manufactured House and the kitchen cabinets are called"Photo Wood". Impossible to sand and/or fix in any way shape or form. HELP!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

If "photo wood" means papery faux wood grain on top of particle board, then it's just like the cabinets I'm currently painting.

• brnincalif
    12 years ago

I used the gel stain on mine, they were an ugly shade of yellowish looking fake wood. got some cherry and rubbed it right over without sanding and they look great!

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

bobbiep1924,

Treat them like regular wood as far as priming.
    But.........
    When it comes to sanding a REALLY light touch.Better if you didn't have to.
    And...
    More important when you clean them wipe on wipe off.
    Do not let the cleaning solution sit on the photo wood or it will bubble up.

• indytabbycat
    12 years ago

Yes!!! I painted my kitchen cabinets and I love them. My kitchen is a country rooster theme so I painted the top ones a sage and the bottom one a country brown. Not only did it look awesome with my theme but by painting the top cabinets a lighter color it make my kitchen look a lot bigger. I have never regretted painting them.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry