Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Filling Area Behind Wall Strips

Posted by Glen81069 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 20:51

Hey All�,
I have a MH that when we bought it used, every wall has been repainted within the last year. It was done by a pro. so it was done right. The walls are the thin paneling, but still have the batten strips covering where the panels meet. It's been setting in this same spot for 20 years, and we have no thoughts of moving, so it's here to stay. I've read post, after post on how others have removed the strips, and painted. We still have some of every color that was used, and can get more of the exact paint to match. My question is that some say they taped, filled and sanded but was it on sheetrock walls, or the wood panel walls that this was done on? I've never had good luck using the tape, but if I can get by just using the joint compound, and it working out right, I have no fear of doing this. I've filled holes and cracks in the past using hardwood patching material, as you can also sand it smooth. Like I've mentioned, every wall has been repainted in the past year by a pro, I'm just wanting to try to remove the strips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Filling Area Behind Wall Strips

We removed the strips in the bathroom and filled it with compound and sanded, but you can still see the compound. Next room I paint or wall paper, I will not remove the strips. Good luck if you do remove the strips.

o

:) "...read post after post", me too. I would say that these people all were filling between the 1/4" wallboard, gipsum, drywall, etc...

I just started another post hoping to catch the attention of these people as well. I forgot to tape... :/ So I'm trying to poll how many people that didn't tape are making out okay, crack free. :)

The home has been resting for 20years, so I'm hoping we don't see much 'shifting'.

o

I've been in mine for 28 years and I took the bands off, pulled out the nails/staples, ran some caulk evenly (because I hate sanding) and then primed and painted. No cracks at all. The corners need to be refilled after about 3 to 5 years but by that time, it time for a new color anyway right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here