Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What if the measurement is off?

Posted by Roberta_z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 25, 05 at 12:42

We just had our three part modular home set on the basement foundation last week. Our temperatures were in the single digits and we really felt sorry for the guys that were doing the work, but they didn't seem to mind at all. All went well until a few days later when they brought the third section down from Wisconsin. They hoisted it up with the crane and it is off by an inch.

They cut pieces off to make it fit, but inside you can still see that it is off. The finishing crew will be here on Tuesday to - well - finish. They expect it to take 3/4 days to complete everything. The crane is no longer here, so I don't know how they plan to either move it into place or hide the flaw. Frankly, it really doesn't matter to me if they just hide it since it is structurally sound and sitting on the sill plate.

I have to imagine this happens pretty regularly on the larger houses. Am I right? We built the walk-out basement ourselves with ICF's and measured and re-measured. When they came out to check it for accuracy, it seemed fine with them also. I guess it wasn't exact enough though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What if the measurement is off?

They jacked the addition up and moved it in place. Everything is absolutely perfect except that now everything is done and I am so anxious to move all of our stuff in. (My husband still has to hook up the propane and plumbing, but that won't take more than a couple of days.) It has been in the 40's and the house is totally surrounded by soft mud!!! We can't have the side where the crane sat backfilled (8' of fill dirt) until the weather allows and that is where two of the entry doors are.

Hopefully the ground will freeze again in the next week and we can get our things moved in. Happy New Year all!

o
RE: What if the measurement is off?

Glad to hear it all worked out. You'll be moved in with plenty of time to plan your gardens/landscaping! ( My seed catalogs have started arriving, so yours must be too.)

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here