Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmayomh

Considering an older (1972) mobile home - what do I need to know?

cmayomh
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm just beginning to look for a nice little mobile home to retire in and haven't had time to do as much research as I'd like, but I'm planning to go see the property below tomorrow and am hoping I can get a little insight beforehand.

The home looks like it's in very nice condition, but it's a little over 40 years old. I've never thought of mobile homes as being especially long-lived, I'd need to get another (hopefully) 20 years out of it, and I'm a little concerned about its age.

Should I be? Anything in particular I should ask/find out/check into before buying a home this old? I've already determined that my insurance carrier won't touch a mobile over 20 years old... any ideas who would insure it?

I'd appreciate any advice you folks could offer.

http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/3-bed-Mobile-Home-for-sale-by-owner-1015-Chancellor-75143/23989568

Comments (5)

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

It looks to be in good condition but you will have to see it in person. Is the price comparable to other mobile homes in the area that are older? As far as insurance goes, if you could find someone to insure it, I think it would be very expensive. If I were you, I would just get liability insurance just as you would an old car.

• cathyyg
    9 years ago

$39,500? That price strikes me as outrageous for a home that old. My mother's single wide MH in Florida of similar age cost half that, and brand new double wide homes can be bought up here in Michigan for $65,000.

My biggest concern after price would be the furnace, roof, hot water heater. They are likely to all be close to end of life again even if they have been replaced before. And have the windows been replaced with double glazed ones?

Foremost is likely to insure this home, as they insure a lot of manufactured homes. But it is much more expensive than homeowner's insurance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare here

This post was edited by cathyyg on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 15:55

• cmayomh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ryse: Good thought about liability only - since I'm just starting to look I really haven't learned anything about insurance on mobiles, I just figured I needed to insure it like I would a house. I'll check into liability insurance and will also try to research what other similar properties have sold for in that neighborhood.

@cathyyg; I agree that sounds like a crazy price for a 40 year old mobile home, even after aggressive negotiations. I don't yet know what updates they might have done to add value (I'll check on the things you mentioned, thank you!), but it seems like it's being carried on the tax rolls at a value of $14.5K - $12.5 for the home and improvements and $2K for the half-acre lot, so there's a heck of a disconnect there somewhere.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Mobiles that old have minimal insulation. I did not try to locate the link posted. But the value for me is $4000.00 or less. Many localities will not permit a unit that old to be relocated. So it stays where it is or is scrapped.

• PRO
    Dan Freeman
    9 years ago

If you are looking for the best possible price on a mobile home look at http://mobilehomerepoman.com The foreclosed mobile homes beyond a doubt is the best bargain in housing available any place in America. You can find mobile home repos in good condition that the bankers would like to get rid of. Too many repos on the books makes management look bad. So, they are offering prices and finance terms that you wont find anyplace else.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm