Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of heating source

Posted by ddd_fredericks (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 5, 06 at 11:22

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
My son wants to get a new manufactured home with about 1800 to 2000 sq ft. What would you suggest for heating?

They will install electric baseboard heat, or an air heat pump. He could install an Earth furnace, a pellet stove.

Electricity is about 10 cents per kwhr. Propane is about $1.75 per gallon. Pellets about $150 per ton.

He does not want anything to do with fire wood.

We live in NW Oregon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of heating source

The air heat pump is very likely to be much lower in operating cost than baseboard electric. The heat pump will cost more to install initially, but also will provide air conditioning for the warmer season.

o

My husband put radiant heat in the floor of the basement under the main floor. The water is heated with propane going through the tankless water heater. It is a very inexpensive form of heat and also a very clean form since there is no moving air.

Our modular home came with a regular propane furnace that we used until we got the tubing put under the main floor and operating. Our modular was just set in January so things are taking more time than we thought. We put the radiant heat in the coach house (apt. with garage under it.) which we built ourselves. (We lived in that while we were building the basement for the modular to sit on.) We were very happy with the heating even in the coldest weather.

I don't know where you are located, but a heat pump is not real reliable in northern climates.

o

I have a friend that has a heat pump. And while he likes it I found it to be "cold". He told ne that when he wants the home to be 70 degrees, the air coming out of the vents is 70 degrees. I'm used to HEAT coming out of the vents at 120 degrees and shutting off when the room reaches the selected temp.
Have the newer heat pumps changed any?

o

When we lived in the Chicago area, we had a three story townhouse with a heat pump. When the outdoor temps reached the teens or lower, our heat wouldn't go above 55 degrees.

That was fine for overnight but not at all acceptable during the day. We had electric space heaters all over the place!

o

Systems must be properly designed and installed for satisfactory results. The Chicago system did not meet those criteria.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here