Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traytay

Floors in mobile home

traytay
12 years ago

I pulled up the carpet in my mobile home and we have not been able to afford tile just yet, it rained outside and my floors were damp. Do I need to replace the plywood floors before I lay tile? What caused it to get wet? And my neighbor laid ceramic tile in her trailer and has held up for years, is it a wise decision to do?

Comment (1)

• cathyyg
    12 years ago

If your floor got damp when it rained, you need to address that issue before you even think about putting down new flooring. My first guesses would be a bad seal/old wornout sealant between the floor and the wall around the perimeter. My second guess would be a deteriorated or missing vapor barrier below the home. But I am no expert! For all I know it's leaking down the interior of the walls to the floor, which can happen if you have no overhang.

Ceramic tile floors are lovely and easy care, if you don't do light grout. Light grout gets grubby in a hurry. But ceramic tile floors are unforgiving if you drop something on them; if the object doesn't break the tile may break. But tiles can be replaced if you keep a few spares.

If you choose tile, be sure to do the tiresome leveling and laying down of cement board first. No matter how solid and level you *think* your floor is, the tiles or grout will eventually crack because there is no flex in tile, and there is in a regular subfloor.

Sponsored
Candace M P Smith Architect
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Leading Architect and Design Firm in Orange County