Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floors in mobile home

Posted by traytay (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 11 at 11:07

I pulled up the carpet in my mobile home and we have not been able to afford tile just yet, it rained outside and my floors were damp. Do I need to replace the plywood floors before I lay tile? What caused it to get wet? And my neighbor laid ceramic tile in her trailer and has held up for years, is it a wise decision to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floors in mobile home

If your floor got damp when it rained, you need to address that issue before you even think about putting down new flooring. My first guesses would be a bad seal/old wornout sealant between the floor and the wall around the perimeter. My second guess would be a deteriorated or missing vapor barrier below the home. But I am no expert! For all I know it's leaking down the interior of the walls to the floor, which can happen if you have no overhang.

Ceramic tile floors are lovely and easy care, if you don't do light grout. Light grout gets grubby in a hurry. But ceramic tile floors are unforgiving if you drop something on them; if the object doesn't break the tile may break. But tiles can be replaced if you keep a few spares.

If you choose tile, be sure to do the tiresome leveling and laying down of cement board first. No matter how solid and level you *think* your floor is, the tiles or grout will eventually crack because there is no flex in tile, and there is in a regular subfloor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here