Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

Let's talk about something else...

sweets98
18 years ago

Do the definitions really matter? Who cares what makes a home modular v. mobile...let's just get down to business!

Have many of you added to and updated your homes to make them more of what you want? Do you treat your manufactured home like a normal old house?

We live in an 88 single wide Commordore Home trailer. My parents bought it when I was about 8, we lived here a year or so and my parents divorced. The plan was to orginally replace the trailer with a home but that never happened. My father lived here off and on and rented it out over the years.

My DH and I have lived here 5 years now. We have done a lot of work to the place inside and out, replacing and fixing things that are looking worn. I love the changes we've made! We plan to replace our home in the next 5 years or so but thinking about that makes me want to cry because I really do love my home!

Anyone else?

Comments (6)

• lizql
    18 years ago

I totally agree with you. Mine is an 88 as well. We have 2x6 sidewalls, extra insulation, skylights, shingled roof, vinyl siding, and enclosed porch. We just recently redid our kitchen. Stone counters and new oak cabinets. We have never used anything in this mobile that one could not use in a stick built house. To top it off, our gas budget is $35.00. I don't think I'd get that in a large home. I don't plan to move anytime soon. Looked at a lot of houses at one time but kept coming back to mine cuz i like it!

• jiggreen
    18 years ago

hi! we own a 1996 28x70 Colony Laurel model, and we love it. we are on a 1/4 acre rented lot. we have lived here about 3 years and have done lots of work on this place. for the first two years we concentrated on the outside, extensive landscaping, front porch, rear deck. over the course of the last year though our attention has turned to the interior, especially the plumbing fixtures. (it seems that the cheapest faucets and toilets were used in here, but i've had that same problem in my two previous stick built tract homes). we treat our home as if it were our dream home. everything we do to it we consider an upgrade. i've never skimped on anything because it's "just a mobile".
    to us, it's just home.

• jessay3
    18 years ago

I have always lived in a mobile home. As a matter of fact, my parents still live in the one I spent most of my childhood in. They've been making many renovations, being its a 1985 model single wide. Replacing floors, outdated pipes, doors etc. My husband and I bought a new double wide 4 br., 2 bth mobile home (with 5 acreas of land) last year. While there's still a lot I'd like to change we're happy with our purchase. I like many others have changed faucets, and believe it or not toilet seats. The ones they put on were too small!
    My best friend recently told me that I lived in a mobile massion. I'm not sure if that was an insult or a compiment. Not that I care, we're happy, and I'm proud of it and all the hard work we've had to do to get it and make it truely a home for us and our kids.

• nwesterner
    18 years ago

I have never lived in a mobile, modular or manufactured home, BUT know many who have including family and close friends. You are all very right in saying it is not the physical dwelling (or type thereof) but the fact that it is a HOME, the very home of those who live and love therein. I hope no one ever feels the need to apologize for or try to excuse the type of home in which they live. Just a thankfulness that they have a physical place to live and call HOME.

• randytam
    18 years ago

My wife, four girls, and I had our six bedroom rented home burn down 4 months ago. We had no renters insurance and lost just about eveything. Thanks to the wonderful people in the surronding community rallying to our aide we were capable of moving into a nice big 5 bedroom victorian style home in Camden Ny. The owner had closed on this HUD home the same day we signed our four month lease. Seemingly a Godsend, the day after he recieved the deed to the home he put it on the market and expects us to show it for him. I guess the term lonterm tennants means four months instead of four years as he led us to believe. We have lived in two large homes now in upstate ny now for over five years. Our fuel bills this year have ranged from $800. to $1200. a month and prior years the same depending on OPEC ofcourse. This has ruined us financially and limits our options so we have considered the prospect of buying a cheap old 3 bedroom single wide mobile home reducing these ungodly fuel costs and doing away with snake in the grass landlords. A this point we are quite optimistic at this option and Any advice on our situation would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you and God bless

• lizql
    18 years ago

Cheap and old does not mean well insulated. I suggest you look into something early nineties to newer. I am very sorry to hear of your situation. Can't imagine losing everything. Good luck in finding something affordable. Do look for one with as much insulation as possible. Also ask for heating bills or budget amounts. Newer windows will be much better than the old aluminum ones. Great conductors of both heat and cold.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms