Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating an older Mobile home

Posted by txchick (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 30, 07 at 7:27

HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really glad to find this as I have an old 1978 single wide mobile home(no idea of mfg) I purchased it over a year ago. It has a Roof over and a 20x40 addition on the back.

Its Freezing cold though. There seems to be no insulation to speak of in the walls behind the paneling. We were planning to remove all the paneling and add insulation and then put up drywall, however after reading this forum Im not sure if we should use drywall??? The home sits on some blocks and still has the tires under there!

I never feel movement as the roof over is Very massive and the addition is large.

The floors are JUST the subfloor, much of it has been replaced with mdf or other low grade plywood. the former owner simply painted it after removing the carpets. The insulation that was under it...is mostly falling off.

So we need to insulate. Any tips on this. Are there special considerations for mobile homes? the trailer roof seems intact so I think were ok for insulation there.

Im hoping to cover the floor with laminate wood or hardwood. I figure tile is out of the question for this place. currently I can see the ground through a few of the seems.

Also there is No furnace(they removed it) so we rely on the fireplace(in the addition) and electric heaters/window AC.

Im in west Tx...we have hot summers (90-105 normally) and mild winters(20-60 normally) and very little rainfall and even less snow.

Also wondering if I could add wood planks to the ceiling to cover the ugly panels. I'd also like to ad some 2x4 beams to make it look a bit rustic and substantial. Our ceilings are low already...maybe 7' Ive already torn out all the kitchen cupboards that were just horrible...except for teh sink one...which leaks and is horrible but I need it.

Thanks in advance.
Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating an older Mobile home

If the exterior is aluminum that is held with visible screws, it may be much easier to remove one exterior section at a time and insulate that way. No mess inside, much easier than removing the paneling. There probably will be an inch or two of insulation already and space for insulation may be limited. Buy some R-11 that is used for soundproofing, it may fit as-is. Or buy R-19 unfaced and split it into thicknesses that fit your situation.

o

I second what bus_driver said. Just remove the siding and put the insulation in there. Something else to consider would be replacing any doors or windows if you have the older ones. They are not like the windows/doors of today and will greatly help! If they are newer, then try re-caulking and sealing up around the edges. Look for cracks and seal those babies up. Little things will make a HUGE difference!

o

First I want to apologize for such a long post. But, this is something I have already experienced and thought I would share these ideas.

One of the most overlooked losses of heat is through the floor. Check the skirting around the trailer to see if it is vented. If it is, consider putting mostly non vented skirting on the north side or plant wind blocking year round shrubbery. We have a trailer in Weatherford TX that was freezing us to death until I did this.

Since you stated the insulation is falling off underneath, sounds like you have the same problems I had.

I cut the plastic canvas and removed all old insulation. It was all settled to the middle. Then I went and got some barrier foil insulation (foil lined bubble wrap) and stapled it about an inch below the subfloor in each space between the floor joists. Next, I got some plastic mesh screen for holding cellulose insulation and stretched it tight and fir stripped it across the floor joists and blew in cellulose insulation in between each floor joists. It wasn't easy but the difference it made was unbelievable.

Most lumber yards let you use the machine to blow in the insulation free if you buy the minimum amount of insulation. I had to buy 10 bales a 7.00 a bale.

While you are under there, you will be able to see all the water lines and the old HVAC ducting. If the ducting is seperated, either reattach the pieces back together or tape the holes off with foil tape. I would just tape them off unless you intend on replacing the HVAC. Then consider replacing the entire duct with flex duct. The ducting on most older trailers I have seen are uninsulated metal, leak air and are not very efficient. Mine was channeling cold air up through the floor where the registers were. While under there, it would be a good time to check the water lines as well...

Odds are, if you have a '78 model, the insulation in the ceiling is blown in. My '78 Breck had clear plastic stapled to the trusses and insulation blown on top of it. This was covered with 1/4" fiberboard. The interior walls were just paneling and thin fiberboard directly nailed to the the studs. We did take this out, rewire the entire trailer and go back with 7/16" OSB sheathing on the walls and ceiling. Then we blew regular drywall accoustics to the ceilings and walls and it looks like sheetrock inside.

One last thing to note... If the water heater has a door outside for access, consider removing the door and attaching a piece of ductboard (foil lined fiberglass insulation board)to its entire inside surface. Be sure to cut out for the vents if it is a gas or propane water heater.

James

o

Don't tear your home apart, buy cladmate board insulation and attach it directly to the outside walls with screws and washers. No need for home wrap just apply siding overtop of the insulation. That's what I did and put up beautiful cedar shake and siding.

o

Was the cladmate board insulation expensive? My daughter-in-law wants to sell her trailer in the near future but it needs insulation. Of course, she wants to upgrade it some but cost is a factor.

o

The cladmate insulation is abit expensive, I would only do it if I planned to stay in the home. But it was so easy and we did all of the skirting as well so it looks like a cedar cottage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here