Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding rooms to a manufactured home

Posted by dudleythunder79 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 1:52

My wife and I purchased a 1985 manufactured home in 1991. The house, for many reasons looks much like a doublewide, which I guess is what it actually is. What I would like to do is to add two rooms to the house. One in the front and one in the back, but I don't want the slant roof. I was wanting to go more with the "A" shape design to both rooms to help give the house a different look. Has anyone done anything like this and if so could you provide some photos for ideas? I've talked with a few contractors and they say it can be done, and I know how I would like to have it made, but I was hoping I could see some actual designs. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding rooms to a manufactured home

we added a front enclosed porch to our home and we put a regular peaked roof on it..dark outside or i would snap you a photo right now..but it is a pitched roof side to side so that it forms a triangle when you look straight on and our home had a long front peaked on the ends like a ranch home..it worked out very well, as soon as i'm able to get a photo and remember to do so i'll post it onto this site for you..it totally changes the LOOK of the house so it looks less like a manufactured home and more like a stick built house..we even found siding and roofing to match..ask the mfg for the info on that

o

Most states have a agency that needs to approve structural changes to mh. It helps if you have the engineering plans showing shear walls and such. I know here (AZ) they require engineering studies before major changes can be done. It ends up preventing people from doing extensive remolding of homes - putting 2 single wides together, etc. This really depends on your area. The city I live in does not have a reciprocal agreement with the state so they don't want to approve building permits on mh. This is very dependent on your area and I doubt if most areas are that strict.

Save yourself some time and find out what the codes are.

o

now that i have the site avail here is the front porch we added to our home..
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

that is a lovely little porch added on - it really makes such a big diffence! and with all the plants around it does look like a stick built.

i'm going to save the pic to show my bf when i start wanting a porch - lol! that'll be AFTER I actually get the home set up here - maybe this next month that'll be done. by next spring i'll be wanting that porch!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here