Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Modular home needs curb appeal

Posted by Tevia (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 18:00

Hi all. My boyfriend and i are in the process of buying a modular home. The one we've picked is essentially a double wide, but being built as a modular. I fell in love with the inside as soon as i saw it, but the outside is a huge concern to me. This is a starter house for us, so in a few years we want to be able to sell it. My concern is that the outside of the house will look too much like a trailer and that will scare people off. I know when looking at houses the first thing i notice is the exterior, and if it's bad i don't bother to look further.

What are some ways we can make the outside look less like a trailer and more like an actual stick built house? If it were up to me i'd like to add a few more sides to the front, but the sales person we're dealing with has told us that's not possible. The only other thing i can think of would be roof pitch.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Pictures of double wides turned into modulars that look like stick-built would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Modular home needs curb appeal

We downsized and had a modular built. It's a 28x44 ranch. And like you, we wanted it to not look like a double wide.

So we made the roof pitch 5/12 and added a split roof. The center 20 feet of the roof is raised and this creates an actual covered front porch on the house. And since we live in Vermont, the porch is a great place for the firewood.

Below is an idea of what we did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Split roof Ranch

o

christopherh, did you purchase the pitched roof as an option from original manufacturer? Or did you design and add it later by yourself? Same with the porch...did you design yourself or are there kits you can buy online or plans for purchase online? Thanks!

o

This was an option from the manufacturer.

The 3/12 roof pitch is not allowed here in Vermont as they can't carry the snow loads. So the 5/12 pitch is the standard pitch. But if your company can't do it, find another company. Same with the split roof. The house was delivered without the raised center portion, and the General Contractor just cut the roof and raised it, and then added an extension which created the porch.

Talk to your dealer. And again, if they can't do it, find another dealer, even if you have to drive a distance to do it.

o

Nothing is "not possible"

Are you talking directly to the company or are you using a contractor?

Contractor will cost you more money, but they will be able to site build anything the manufacturer will not do at the factory. It would be a good idea to have one anyway. Our contractor sent plans out to a few companies to bid on my design.

Attaching a garage, or a porch will break it up a little. Also, the orientation will change the porch placement. My place evolved a lot in the planning stages and I am really happy with the final layout. Hopefully in a month I will be in there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here