Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicksations

Young south texas couple needs advice!

nicksations
9 years ago

my wife and I are in the market to buy a new home. We are young couple with a child on the way. She really likes the look and price of some single wide manufactured homes we saw yesterday in town. I however I am leaning more towards a finished building by General Shelters. ( check them out, they are nice)

I've been reading some reviews on Fleetwood, Clayton, and Palm Harbor Homes which are available in my area... And really do not like what I have read.

we will be taking a trip to San Antonio to see what they have available out there. Schult and Titan Factory Direct are some of the other brands available in San Antonio.

my question is, what is a good brand of manufactured home by your experience.

all I hear are negative reviews I would like to hear some good reviews for a change... thanks.

Comments (5)

• cathyyg
    9 years ago

Read the entirety of a few threads here. The question is not what model or manufacturer; the question is what dealer you use. That will define your experience.

• nicksations
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I have 86'd Fleetwood and Clayton for sure. I just don't want to buy a cheaply made home...

• PVHIII
    9 years ago

Your dealer is the most important....that is VERY TRUE...but your manufacturer is important as well...I would suggest ya'll to take a look at Deer Valley...we did our homework before we bought ours and I'm sure glad we did.Go to the Deer Valley homebuilders website and click on the "Why Deer Valley" section and compare their construction components to others and you'll find their hard to beat. We live in North Central Arkansas and have been in our home for about a month now and we haven't had a single issue.WE LOVE OUR HOME!...You will spend a little more for the quality you will receive but it will pay off in the long run.Energy efficiency was paramount to us and is really the main factor in our decision. Don't base your decision on what you can see...what you can't see is what's most important... We wish ya'll luck and hope ya'll have a very pleasant home buying experience... take your time and if there's anything we can help with let us know.I will check back here for updates...good luck!

• nicksations
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks PVHIII. I have been looking through the forum since i joined yesterday, lol, and yes...Deer Valley seems to be one that many buyers are pleased with.

You know, as a man, I just fear getting my family into a 15 or 20 year note on something that will only bring chaos. I've read stories about leaks, warping, fake wood, mold, poor insullation, poor wiring, cracked drywall, drafty doors, doors that dont close, leaks leaks and more leaks!

WIll check out Deer Valley in my spare time today and hopefully find a dealer in south texas.

• PVHIII
    9 years ago

Man I TOTALLY understand those fears because I had the same fears myself as a matter of fact that was my biggest fear when it came to buying a manufactured home..Deer Valley is the closest thing I could find to stickbulit for about 35-40% less with the energy efficiency of a manufactured home...here's a few things to look for 2x6 exterior walls,2x8 or 2x10y floor joist,2x4 interior walls,OSB wrapped, all 2x construction,low E thermopane windows, radiant barrier roof decking, PEX plumbing and you want as much overhang as you can get which will prevent any water from running down your walls possibly causing rot and typically the longer the overhang the stronger the home..and last but not least you want a 2x4 truss system in the roof...a lot of manufacturers use 1x's...good luck again.

This post was edited by PVHIII on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 11:22