Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Site planning

Posted by efoptmst (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 23, 06 at 2:24

Hello everyone, I am a newbie, first time home buyer, and here is my story. I want to buy a house, and I am approved for 75k, but probably could get more. I can't find a house I like in the area I'm in, with the yard my fiance wants. I had an idea. There is two acres in Deerfield Ohio with a 1970's trailer on it. My plan would be to purchase it for 35k, put in a foundation/basement(10k), garage(10k) and purchase a doublewide(26by40)to place on top(35k). Are my estimates off? Is my purchase going to appreciate in value like a regular house since it would be on a foundation? It seems like a good idea but I don't know of any hidden fees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Site planning

First find out if the property can be perked for a new septic system as you may not have a system that's approved for anything other than a mobile as opposed to a permanent home.
Then be sure of your costs for the foundation and all other costs before you proceed. Then get the house placed and THEN add the garage. You may find out there are some unexpected costs involved and by spending the money for a garage before setting the house you may find yourself short.

As far as appreciation, yes, it will appreciate in value because it will be sitting on it's own land. Just not as greatly as a modular or a site built home.
And you will be able to get a regular mortgage just like a "normal" house.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Just be sure of the dealer and firm up all the costs before proceeding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here