Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wallpaper over ?

Posted by nanaofive (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 23:11

We live in a 1997 Liberty manufactured home and I would like to wallpaper my kitchen and laundry room. Whatever is on the walls now is white, very slightly textured board with narrow strips, probably covering seams. I have never wallpapered before but have been doing some reading about it. Some suggest a liner that is put up horizontally, then papered. Anyone have any experience or advice ? TIA. Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wallpaper over ?

I am betting you would have to prime the wall first to get the glue to stick. I haven't tried wallpapering before, but I know to get the paint to stick to the vinyl, I had to prime first (with Kilz). Are you going to paper right over the seams, too?

o
RE: wallpaper over ?

I have experimented with various techniques and two I have found seem to work best when dealing with the vinyl coated walls.

For either method you need to remove the strips and putty the seams and sand them smooth.

Method 1

Using a medium to coarse sand paper on a sander go over the walls. the idea is to score the vinyl. After you finish take a damp cloth (not wet) and wipe the dust off the walls. Then paint with Kilz (or other heavy duty white primer) Then paper as you would any wall.

Method 2

This is less intensive but more expensive. Even though the paper is likley prepasted I use a wall paper paste. Not just any paste but that which is for marine or wet area use. It is about twice as expensive as regular paste but well worth it and I use elmers glue all as a seam sealer; it will dry clear. I do not wet the paper unless the paste is very thick (I have come across two types, one is the consistancy of school paste and though it looked fine I hated working with it and ruined the first couple sheets cause I had wet them)

Anyway, hope this helps some.

D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here