Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mannabsn_gw

Buying a gently used mobile home - any advice?

mannabsn
16 years ago

Hubby and I are on a limited income (I work, he's in school) for the next few years. We own some land and so we're planning on buying a gently used mobile home to set up on our land. We want to live there 3-7 years - long enough to get hubby out of school and save some cash towards building our own home in the same location.

I'm trying to work towards budget estimates. Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Here's the costs I'm sure we'll have so far.

Moving costs (the home itself)

Septic tank installation (can this be a "do it yourself" type job or would I be better off buying a plumber? this is a rural area)

Having water and electric lines run

Propane tank installed

Dirt work/gravel for driveway

Clearing the acreage for the home (1/2-1 acre) - it is mostly in small pines and underbrush. Brother-in-law works for a equipment rental place so we're thinking perhaps we could rent the dozer and do some of this ourselves as well to save money?

Would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks folks!

Comments (2)

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

In my area, regulations forbid the "installation" of any mobile home manufactured prior to July 1976. Some local areas require that any mobile home moved in must have shingle roof and vinyl siding, no metal roof nor aluminum siding. So be sure the unit you plan to buy will be permitted for your site. My wife and I lived in a mobile home for 2 1/2 years. Years later, my daughter and her husband did for 10 years. Saved our money, pinched every penny, during that time. Wife and I saved $6K, years later daughter and husband saved $40K, we now have nice homes. The people who give mobile homes a bad name use the extra money to buy addictive substances, the use of which hurts their career possibilities and they get locked in to a life of poverty.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

My husband and I have put in more septic tanks than I would like to remember. Seems it was 4. More than your average person. One where we built one where a flood took out the existing tank and two on flip houses where the tanks were just bad.

You need to check with your health department to get a permit to put in the tank.They will do a perk test of your soil and lay it all out telling you THEIR requirements on leach lines. Actually it is all a good thing.

Oh and here the septic tank and the well have to be at least 100 feet apart.

Then you need to hire a backhoe with operator if you are not handy doing it yourself. You show the plans and the operator will dig to specs. We always marked it all out first saving time. The leach lines have to be dug to grade.

Then you have the place where you bought your tank deliver it and they will out it down in the hole for you.

You then lay out your leach field with the rock specified by the health department. The last system we did, as owners, we used those plastic?? things on top of the leach lines with the rock under.

Hook it all up to the tank and then tank to house.

I would try to keep in mind you might be building your house to hook to this system at a later time and tell the health department that because your house might be three bath verses the two or one your MFH is now. Makes a difference and you would not want to start all over again. X amount of baths = larger size septic tank and different legnths of leach lines.

NOW here, Idaho, for electric it used to be $1300.00 a pole. I think the first pole is free.We have not looked into it lately.. Again you need to check with the power company. We have an above ground line coming up our road and then it drops and gore underground to the house. I thik as a home owner you can do your own electric and we have done so but if you do not know how hire it done. Electricity is not a game. Also there very well could be different rules in your area.

Moving costs vary. Our neighbors just had a double wide moved about 110 miles and it cost them $1100.00.

I think it is a great idea to start with the MFH. Just keep in mind do all your electric and septic for the future home you plan to build. Even consider the clearing you need to do carefully so you do not ruin the beautiful setting for your new home.

We live in a MFH on a full foundation and just love it. It is the third one we have had and would buy another one in a heartbeat if we ever decided to move from here.

I wound not be excited about building again but we are not as young as we were when we built.

Chris