Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting popcorn-like ceilings

Posted by Golfergurl (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 20:19

Hi everyone,
Found this forum last week and love it. I'm closing on my 1560 sf. DW on Tuesday! I have lots of ideas of things I want to do (really appreciated all the talk about filling in the gaps after the batting strips are removed).

The ceiling of my new place is like a popcorn texture. Yuck! (IMO) Any ideas on changing (i.e. putting up new ceilings?) or painting on this type of texture? Thanks everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting popcorn-like ceilings

Ask the experts about whether the ceiling cam be replaced. I do know they make special extra-fluffy rollers for painting textured ceilings.

o

I bought a foreclosure that needed the entire ceilings repainted. They were an awful grey throughout the entire interior. I bought the most expensive ceiling paint I could find and the highest nap roller, and repainted ALL of my ceilings. It was very time consuming but well worth the effort! Through trial and error I learned a technique so that the popcorn would not pull off with the paint. People will say to redo the ceilings but I think a fresh coat of paint did it for me. I am on a budget and do not believe in overremodling so that I will have more $ into the place than it will ever be worth.

o

When repainting "popcorn ceilings", be sure to only go over the areas once with the wet roller. The texture seems to soak up paint quickly, then will come off the ceiling when you roll over it again. Practice in the closets first!!

An alternative that I've decided I like MUCH better is to take a wide putty knife and scrape the bulk of the texture off of the ceiling before painting. This will leave a texture similar to that of what is often used on walls. I then painted over this with a semigloss latex paint so I could wash the ceilings as well as the walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here