Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Water Heater

Posted by susanp (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:50

We have a problem with our hot water heater. We own a Horton Manufactured Home. About a week ago we stopped having any hot water. My husband flipped the breaker, but that didn't do anything. Well today he took off the panel in our master bedroom closet that covered the hot water heater. It was mice that had built a nest, and we don't know what all they have done. My question is what can we do? Do we need to start looking for a new one, and where all do we look to cover holes where rodents etc. can't get in? We aren't all that handy, but worse is we are both not well. We are disabled as I had to retire early as a teacher due to advanced lupus, etc. and my husband has congestive heart failure with severe diabetes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,
susanp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Water Heater

Is the hot water heater electric? If so, the mice may have chewed through the wires. Also, if you have a serious mouse infestation ALL your wiring is in danger, and your home may burn down from a wiring short inside a wall. This is a time to call in a professional.

o

You mention “flipped the breaker” so I'm going to “assume” that its an electric water heater and not gas.

Just because you found a mouse nest don’t panic and assume that you have major problems.

Being you said your husband removed a panel it sounds like the water heater is in its own compartment. It should be simple enough to see where the little devils are coming in. Go to a home store have then get you the appropriate caulking and apply it yourself along with placing some rat poison in the compartment. No need to pay someone for that.
A few questions
Was the nest inside the water heater itself or just in the compartment? Was the circuit breaker tripped? Does the circuit breaker trip when reset? Did you see any damage on the wire leading into the water heater?

If the breaker wasn’t tripped and stays set and you see no damaged wires it could simply be the heating element (s) have gone bad. And not related to the mice.
Heating elements will cost you around $20 and are not all that difficult to replace. If you’re looking to save money ask friends or relatives if they had any experience replacing heating elements. Otherwise you’ll need to call a pro.

Good luck to you

o

My husband said the breaker didn't trip, but some wires at the top have some damage. We are going to get some poison to set out where needed, and do the calking as you said.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas.

susanp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here