Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanbonnie

Hot Water Heater

susanp
10 years ago

We have a problem with our hot water heater. We own a Horton Manufactured Home. About a week ago we stopped having any hot water. My husband flipped the breaker, but that didn't do anything. Well today he took off the panel in our master bedroom closet that covered the hot water heater. It was mice that had built a nest, and we don't know what all they have done. My question is what can we do? Do we need to start looking for a new one, and where all do we look to cover holes where rodents etc. can't get in? We aren't all that handy, but worse is we are both not well. We are disabled as I had to retire early as a teacher due to advanced lupus, etc. and my husband has congestive heart failure with severe diabetes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,
susanp

Comments (3)

• cathyyg
    10 years ago

Is the hot water heater electric? If so, the mice may have chewed through the wires. Also, if you have a serious mouse infestation ALL your wiring is in danger, and your home may burn down from a wiring short inside a wall. This is a time to call in a professional.

• Confire
    10 years ago

You mention âÂÂflipped the breakerâ so I'm going to âÂÂassumeâ that its an electric water heater and not gas.

Just because you found a mouse nest donâÂÂt panic and assume that you have major problems.

Being you said your husband removed a panel it sounds like the water heater is in its own compartment. It should be simple enough to see where the little devils are coming in. Go to a home store have then get you the appropriate caulking and apply it yourself along with placing some rat poison in the compartment. No need to pay someone for that.
    A few questions
    Was the nest inside the water heater itself or just in the compartment? Was the circuit breaker tripped? Does the circuit breaker trip when reset? Did you see any damage on the wire leading into the water heater?

If the breaker wasnâÂÂt tripped and stays set and you see no damaged wires it could simply be the heating element (s) have gone bad. And not related to the mice.
    Heating elements will cost you around $20 and are not all that difficult to replace. If youâÂÂre looking to save money ask friends or relatives if they had any experience replacing heating elements. Otherwise youâÂÂll need to call a pro.

Good luck to you

• susanp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband said the breaker didn't trip, but some wires at the top have some damage. We are going to get some poison to set out where needed, and do the calking as you said.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas.

susanp

Sponsored