Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newmobileowner

Plumbing?

newmobileowner
17 years ago

Hi! to Everyone, I have a foul odor coming from my master bath tub drain. It's not there everyday,but when it is there it is awful. I can smell it really bad if it's windy outside.I can also smell it under my bathroom sink. The only thing that is under that cabinet is clean dry towels. Could this be in the drainage system or in the pipes of the mobilehome. Should I call the park people or the people I bought the mobilehome from? Or is there something I can do myself to fix this. I want to say it smells like sewer gas,but I don't know what sewer gas smells like. Thanks

Comments (12)

• jaacka
    17 years ago

Check your drains.... I have a similar problem in my master bath drain, and I inquired about it elsewhere and was told to clean out my drains. Could be something in there, hair or whatever that is causing the odor. Worth a try anyway.

• Snomam
    17 years ago

I put a small amount of weak solution of bleach/water down my drains a couple of times a month. What happens is the water in the "P" trap gets foul, and that could be what's causing the odor. Also, what I didn't know is that in a sink or tub that's rarely used, the water in the P trap evaporates and sewer gas comes up. So now I make sure I run water periodically in the drains in the second bath that rarely gets used.

• newmobileowner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone. I think that that is my problem. I have two sinks in my bathroom and only use one and I have a tub and a shower and I can't use both at the same time. So I run water in all the drains but I'm not sure how long to run them. I will also try the bleach.

• Snomam
    17 years ago

The P-trap only holds about a cup of water, so that's probably all you need to put in there, maybe a couple of times a week.

• lazypup
    17 years ago

The water in a P-trap cannot get fouled sufficiently to cause odor because the water in the trap is changed every time that drain is used.

• granny2anb
    17 years ago

I put a half cup of baking soda down each drain, then pour in some vinegar and leave it until it stops fizzing. Then I run lots of hot water down the drains. If the drains that develop the odor are drains that aren't used regularly it might be that the water in the P trap is evaporating. That could allow odor from the sewer line to come up through that drain.

• lazypup
    17 years ago

If you have a drain that is not used first pour water in the drain to fill the trap, then pour a 1/4cup of cooking oil in the drain. The oil floats on top of the water and retards evaporation.

• alviec
    17 years ago

I was reading other articles you posted. You can mask the problem by dumping solutinos down the pipes, but if you read the code of federal regulations in regards to how the home should be constructed, you may find you are another victim of defective mobile homes.

• huskyridor
    17 years ago

QUOTE" I put a small amount of weak solution of bleach/water down my drains a couple of times a month. What happens is the water in the "P" trap gets foul, and that could be what's causing the odor. Also, what I didn't know is that in a sink or tub that's rarely used, the water in the P trap evaporates and sewer gas comes up. So now I make sure I run water periodically in the drains in the second bath that rarely gets used. "quote
    THIS IS GREAT ADVICE

alviec,
    A P-trap is a P-trap regardless of who installed it.
    Somehow I get the impression that your as bitter as some of the folks on the pool forum here who got burned by a less than desirable pool construction contractor. I'd guess you bought based on price alone.

Note to all readers,
    Purchase your apparel and automobiles on price.
    If the cheapest price on your new pool or home is the final determining factor, you'll most likely regret the purchase.
    Just as equally if you purchase the most expensive builder it doesn't meet you'll get the best improvement, it simply means that you spent the most. On a purchase of this magnitude you should not be rushed, get plenty of bids, and go with your gut feeling on the builder based on his testimonials of previous customers.

See ya,
    Kelly

• newmobileowner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thought I would let everyone know that the problem was my sewage pipe had come apart. It was still under warrenty so they came and fixed it. Had to remove insulation and clean for mold. After they were done the smell was gone and has never come back. Thanks to all who answered my post. I live alone and I'm sure I will have more problems in the future.

• alviec
    16 years ago

Well, DUH. A P-trap is a P-trap. Gotcha.
    Disgruntled? Maybe.
    Pools. Nope.
    What about a vent pipe being cloggged up?
    I'm not sure why I get picked on, but that's ok. I still respect you.
    The issue here is "plumbing".

Look for something that may be causing the problem like the ventilation system. You can pour different solutions down the pipes all you want but the smell will still be there if the problem is not resolved. If a "P-trap" is holding odors, you must have a gigantic P-TRAP. I've seen garbage disposals that don't hold that much odor. But a P-trap? The thing is only 1-1/2" in diameter and may hold 1/2 cup of water. Test it for yourself. put a cup of water in a cup and add somehting smelly to it and let it set for a week. Sure, you will have a smell. It has been setting there for a week. If you are running water through a sink at least once a week, that odor will be flushed on down the plumbing system.

Maybe the suggestions provided here are a "quick fix" but if you really want the smell to go away, look at you entire plumbing system underneath the mobile home.

See if you have any of the plumbing system that may be sagging. It could be holding the waste in that area causing your odors.

But of course, somebody is going to tell you I'm an idiot or something to that affect. LOL.

Do this. Go to google and query "plumbing, odor, smell" or something like that. Get an opinion from a reputable plumber website on "cure" for problems like this. I'm sure you will find that what this "idiot" said is more closer to resolving your issue than you could imagine.

My honest opinion is that there are a few people on this forum using multiple usernames to disguise their true identity. MHI.

Another day, another defect"

Hope this helped you....

• olelady
    16 years ago

Glad you found the solution to your problem. Just got to add my comment here. I've lived in mobiles homes for over 30 years and I have operated a wastewater treatment plant and managed the mobile home park where I live for 16 years, don't ever put oil or grease of any kind in your drains for any reason. You will eventually pay the price with stopped up drains. I know I've seen it many many times.

Olelady/Barbara

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA