Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powering my mobile home off the grid

Posted by PhilosophyProf (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 17:08

Hiya folks,
I'm trying to figure out how best to power my mobile home off the grid without using solar-power. I've been trying to do some research but am a little in over my head and am having some trouble sifting through the information. I realize I can obviously use a generator and I think this is the best course of action, but still have a couple questions. Does the generator have to be running continuously to power things that need to be powered continuously like a refrigerator? Can I utilize a battery of some sort to run the continuously powered things and have the generator charge the battery? The mobile home is about 700 sq ft or so. It's my understanding I'll need a 8kw-ish generator probably?

any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powering my mobile home off the grid

We have a number of homes here in Vermont that are off the grid, but they all use solar for electricity, and wood for heat and cooking.

Also there are kerosene powered appliances like refrigerators, etc. The Amish use these.

Below is the link to a company the Amish use.

https://www.lehmans.com/

o

A generator is the cheapest short term answer and the most expensive long term answer. How will you store enough fuel for the generator to keep running for more than a few hours? How much will that fuel cost?

I have linked to maps showing the viability of both solar and wind power all over the US. Both of these, particularly solar, are becoming much less expensive. Both would require a battery system for cloudy/windless days.

If you live in a heavily wooded area an outdoor woodburning furnace is an excellent heating option, as it can be hooked up to the existing forced air distribution system in your home.

ChristopherH mentioned the Amish kerosene appliances. I am not familiar with those - the Amish near me use propane powered refrigerators and stoves.

I know there is a natural gas powered generator available. It can be adapted to use propane. Is your home in an area where propane deliveries are available, and can you afford the propane?
http://www.amazon.com/Generac-5882-Air-Cooled-Generator-Compliant/dp/B003IWYRWO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381430052&sr=8-3&keywords=Natural+Gas+Generators

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind and Solar Maps

o

The older appliances I'm familiar with are kerosene. The newer ones are propane.

And if anybody knows about living off the grid, it's the Amish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here