Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
home style definitions

Posted by mc_hudd (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 16:19

There's been some discussion on here previously about what the definitions of mobile, manufactured, and moduler homes were... Well, I found this on a site & thought I'd share:

Manufactured Home: Built entirely in the factory under federal code administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), which went into effect June 15, 1976, has been upgraded numerous times. Covers single- or multi-section homes and includes transport to the site and installation. Regulations include: design & construction, strength & durability, transportability, fire resistance, energy efficiency & quality.

Mobile Home: The term mobile home used for homes built prior to June 15, 1976, when HUD code went into effect. Voluntary standards were previously in effect.

Modular Home: Built to state, local or regional code where home will be located. Multi-section units are transported to sites and installed. Modular sections are designed to be removed from the steel frame (also known as carrier) and placed onto a permanent foundation by a crane.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: home style definitions

Those are some of the better definitions that I have heard. They pretty clearly and simply explain the differences. One this is obvious...on a modular home the "required" construction will vary depending upon where it will be placed. The requirements from place to place can vary quite a bit. In fact there are still many small communities that have no local code and do not enforce any state or national codes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here