Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summergardener

weight bearing walls?

summergardener
14 years ago

I am considering removing a wall in a kitchen redo that seperates my kitchen from a breakfast nook area in my double wide. Does anyone know how I can tell if it is weight bearing? Ihave the plans, but can notsee difference in the walls on them. Thanks

Comments (11)

• pris
    14 years ago

Not sure about anything with sections wider than 14 feet, but at least up to that width the inside walls should not be weight bearing. They are making mobiles 16 and 18 feet wide now and I don't know if that is still within the span limit for supporting the roof. You should be able to find the answer on the internet. Just google your question and see what pops up.

• summergardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the answer. It is only 14 foot wide (28 foot double wide). It doesn't appear to be weight bearing. If it is removed, a contracter will be helping out. Just trying to plan what I want before I do other work and have to redo it, if you know what I mean:) I don't want to plan around tearing it out and find that it can't happen.

• pris
    14 years ago

The wall you need to look at is the "marriage wall" running lengthwise down the center. Depending on your floor plan, there will be beams formed when the two sides are placed together. Those beams will need to remain or be re-engineered. Make sure your contractor is familiar with how double wides are put together. If he's reputable, he either knows or knows where to find the answers.

• pris
    14 years ago

The wall you need to look at is the "marriage wall" running lengthwise down the center. Depending on your floor plan, there will be beams formed when the two sides are placed together. Those beams will need to remain or be re-engineered. Make sure your contractor is familiar with how double wides are put together. If he's reputable, he either knows or knows where to find the answers.

• pris
    14 years ago

• pris
    14 years ago

So much for believing a post didn't post when it's rejected. Sorry about that.

• bus_driver
    14 years ago

Here, wider than 14' is not permitted to be transported on most roadways. Typically on a mobile home section 14' and under, the only weight bearing walls are those that are on the outside while the unit is being transported.

• stompoutbermuda
    14 years ago

If I am not correct someone please jump in. But I am considering a redo as well that would involve a center wall which I "think" is probably weight bearing. I was thinking that as long as I left the posts in place and made them look like somekind of fancy columns with open passageways that would be okay.......

• summergardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the input so far! Has anyone removed a divider to expand a kitchen/breakfast nook into a full eat in kitchen? If so, I would love to see pictures! Thanks again! If we go through with it, I will post pic.s. An unexpected repair needed to be made to our pool, so this project may be delayed now. Ughhhh! always something!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Not sure if this will help at all. I took some pictures when they were putting our house together. This was not the finished deal. We had to leave to take care of other things before they were through. It will give you an idea what that marriage wall can look like. We do have added ?? Roof load? at 120 pounds and a steeper pitch to help shed the snowfall we get here so our marriage wall could be more than others. We also had to have special engineering and beefed up walls that did not show on the model because of our added roof load.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marriage Wall

• pris
    14 years ago

I'm sure each state has it's own regulation regarding highway width limits. Here in Texas single wides can be 18' wide. But, even the 14' wides have to contact the highway dept for permitted routes to their destination.

The marriage wall has "columns" running the length the spacing of which depends in part on the floor plan. These columns are made up of 2x4's butted together to form columns on each section. When the sections are "married" these sections make a column. These columns along with the beam running the length have to be left alone, but you could probably remove the walls between the columns. I would check with the builder before actually doing it and depending on how many columns there are would depend on how much open space you could hope to gain.