Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwroselady

New Carpet or Laminate?

nwroselady
11 years ago

I just bought a 1986 manufactured home which has carpet throughout. The previous owner had the carpet cleaned but it had some stains so I got a carpet allowance. I would prefer either wood or laminate flooring, but I put laminate into a previous house I owned and my feet froze all winter. What should I do? Do those of you with laminate have this problem?

Comments (11)

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

See if you have any insulation underneath your floor. Even with insulation, laminate will be colder than carpeting. We had stained beige carpeting replaced with laminate and love it, but I do wear fuzzy slippers :-)

• Dave_Charyl
    9 years ago

Hate wood/laminate floors for that reason. I want to be warm. No need for fuzzy slippers if you have carpet.

• sunnie62
    9 years ago

I have laminate flooring thru out and love it. Yes it goes get a bit chilly in the winter, but I wear fuzzy slippers also. I never go barefooted anyway. Always something on my feet.

• ClassicD
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness! If I could rip out my carpet and get laminate or hard wood, I would in a heart beat. The carpet just kicks up so much dust. I just think it makes the room look so much bigger, brighter and cleaner. Just my opinion. One day.......

• Guy954
    9 years ago

Wood laminate is better. I always wear slippers indoors so the cold would not bother me, plus I'm in Florida and we don't get too cold down here, and many apartments have tile floors which do get cold.

Wood laminate is a better investment, and last longer and have better resale value, and won't stain like a carpet can. Plus if the new buyer has a pet, carpets are the worst.

• frankie46
    9 years ago

the stuff at Costco [hard wood laminate] with the insulation on the bottom is on sale alot this time of the year . i put it in 2 years ago after ripping up old carpet . 3 dogs and cat 3 adults and 2 baby's , it looks good yet .it is amazing how much dirt we can track in a day.needs sweeping every day with all the in and out

• gardenbug
    9 years ago

I have a near new manufactured home. It has carpet in the living room and linoleum throughout the rest of the house. I am replacing all that with 'engineered' hardwood. Laminate flooring will lift or buckle if it gets wet. I would NEVER use laminate flooring for that reason.

• triciajoelle
    8 years ago

I flip mobile homes in the Northeast. Laminate is very cold in the winter, even with insulation under the unit. Also, mobile homes tend to shift and settle over time- not good with any wood/ laminate floor. When I sell, I always suggest to new home owner to get a remnant area rug for the linoleum kitchen floor through the winter, because the floors are so cold. So, if you're in warm climate with little "settling", go for it. If you're in colder climate with a unit that tends to settle, even slightly, get carpet.

• cathyyg
    8 years ago

We just replaced the carpet in our 3 year old home with laminate and couldn't be happier with it. Yes, it is colder. We needed good slippers for our Michigan winter, and we have plenty of insulation under the home. But it is so much better looking, easier to keep clean, and it does not hold allergens like carpet.

• Northern Lady
    8 years ago

I had to replace 2 yr. old carpet to seal the flooring. I vacuumed very very often but you wouldn't believe what was under the pad and between it and the carpet.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz