Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need temporary home

Posted by wease (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 11:52

Not sure if this is the best forum to post this in. My wife and I are buying 20 acres. We want to live on the property while we build our dream home, which we predict will take 3-4 years with the design, permitting and construction.

So I'm looking for ideas that will help us live on the land with our 2 kids while we do this. I found a manufactured home builder and it looks like I can get one of those for about $90,000 installed. It's a 3 BR 2 Bath.

Wondering the following:

-Do I have other options I haven't thought of?

-Is there a market for a home like this after we're done with it?

-Water and sewer, electricity, etc. I figured I'd need all of this for the dream home so I'd install it first and use it??

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need temporary home

You would be far, far better off buying a used manufactured home to live in while you build your dream home. You will not be able to recoup more than about half of your investment in a new manufactured home. So, buy a used one for a third of the cost and it won't lose as much value. The cost of moving it will to your acreage will depend on the distance more than anything else, so search close to home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Place to look for used homes for sale.

o
RE: Need temporary home

We are doing this too. Husband myself and our 3&1 years olds. We lucked out with a conection to be able to get a modular building from a contractor friend for 3k. The building was a school class room 24x40 ( 960 sqf), has electricy just needs to be hooked up to our power. We paid 4k to have it moved and set, we will build interior walls add a kitchen and bath to make liveable. Total expense will come in around 15-17k.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here