Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Bathroom Vanity

Posted by zachsmom123 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 23:50

We have been living in our home for about 6 years and I am redecorating the main bath for my 2 year old. Thanks to everyone's input here I have just completed putting primer over the bathroom paper and will be painting the walls. My question is has anyone painted the bathroom vanity and attached linen closet? I read a post where someone mentioned Cabinet Rescue but I would like to know if you have any experience with it or if you used something else. I am planning on white so color is not an issue. Any ideas and suggestions? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Bathroom Vanity

Of course it can be done! Really anything can be painted with the right prep and materials! Paint is your friend! It's one of the cheapest ways to remodel a room or give a piece a whole new look without a lot of work!

I have been painting over most of the fake wood stuff in our mobile home because I can't stand to look at it anymore after 7 years! LOL I redid the kitchen cabinets two years ago, the cabinets in the laundry, the bathroom vanity, painted the wainscot in the laundry 3 years ago, wainscot in the living room last year...with each project I started by wiping everything down to get the extra dirt and dust off of it. Then I primed and painted with 2-3 coats of paint to get a good coverage. I used a small craft brush to get in the cracks and small areas and a small 3" roller for everything else. Remove the doors and hardware and do them seperatly. While you are at it, you can also spray paint the hardware or replace it with new for an even newer look!

o

Thanks so much! I was planning on using the same primer that I used on the walls (and the lovely popcorn ceiling) and then painting. Is there a specific paint I should use?

Thanks again!!
Lynn

o

My husband and I redid our Master bathroom last fall and all I did was put 3 coats of white semigloss on the cabinets. They were the oak color before we painted - I have had no problems with peeling or chiping of paint. I also repainted the hardwear a dark green to match the countertops - I used the craft patio paint for that - again no problems with it chipping. Like sweet98 said - paint is your friend - have fun.....

Lynne

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

THE BATHROOM AND KITCHEN CABINETS IN MY HOMES OF MERIT ARE FAKE WOOK COVERED IN SOME KIND OF VINYL PAPER. THE BOTTOM OF THE DOORS ARE SWELLING AND THE PAPER IS PEELING. ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION AS TO HOW TO FIX THIS OR HOW TO PAINT OVER THIS MESS.

o

Lynn,
I guess I forgot to tell you what sheen of paint is best. I have tried just about everything and I have to say that using semi-gloss has been the best so far. It holds up better and is wipeable if need be without being too shiney. After being able to wipe everything down, it's hard to change that! LOL

aleen,
I know what you are talking about. I would try to get the surface as smooth as possible, like by ripping up any of the peeled stuff and possibly try hand sanding to see if that helps flatten it out. I did that in the bathroom at the bottom of the vanity and then painted with a few coats of paint. I'm sure if you look closely you can see the problem area but once everything was painted and looked the same, it wasn't AS noticeable.

The other option could be to replace the bad spots. Like I had a friend who's brother and SIL took the cabinet doors off and replaced the rest of the outer parts of the cabinets with plywood so it was sturdier and looked nicer. Once it's all painted, nobody will see the difference!

o

Lots of advice in the *Paint Forum* here. Check out something called Cabinet Coat that everyone raves about. They have tips on how to smooth, prepare and paint vanities. Also check the *Decorating Forum* lots of advice and photos of completed vanity paint jobs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here