Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_beginning_cms

rehab

new-beginning
12 years ago

Four years ago we purchased five acres with well, septic system and two mobile homes, both Redman and both from about 1995. The owners lived in the double wide and used the single wide to rent to a disabled person (has a ramp).

I retired from full-time work (for pay!) 18 months ago, sold our brick home in a subdivision in July and started working on 'rehabbing' the single wide. I had been living in the double wide (which is really pretty nice on the interior - siding needs replacing though). Grandson, wife and child have moved into the double wide.

Grandson had started rehabbing the SW and had completed the two small bedrooms and the small hall bathroom; he had "mostly" completed work in the master bath. The master bath is now complete (beadboard walls, new tub/surround, new vanity, new toilet, new floor. We have completed the upgrade to the master BR, new flooring, painted all the walls (painted right over the wall covering), new baseboards, new ceiling fan/light fixture.

Have painted the laundry room area and added plywood flooring where the washer and dryer will rest.

We are now working on the kitchen; removed most of the lower cabinets (were in really bad shape) and we have an area of the kitchen floor to replace with plywood. Then we will install new kitchen cabinets (purchased from IKEA) and new counter-tops, refloor the repaired section.

When the kitchen is complete (and it gets new paint and two new light fixtures) I will paint the living room, and be finished. Estimated time to complete project(s) - 60 days. Will post pictures of finished rooms (did not take "before" pictures).

Although I love granite counter-tops and had them in my previous home (the one I just sold) I would never use solid granite slabs in a manufactured home - perhaps granite tiles. My countertops will be beech butcherblock and a laminate.

Comment (1)