Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting vinyl covered walls with smoke damage

Posted by garden_gal30 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 17:59

We are buying a DW mobile home that has smoke damage to the vinyl covered walls in both the living room and dining room. It is our first mobile home and is a foreclosure that the previous owners not only cared for poorly, but also stripped when they moved out. It needs a lot of rehabbing, and I am looking for advice from anyone with experience remodeling and redecorating mobile homes. The smoke damage is from a fire, not cigarette smoke, and I'm trying to determine the best way to clean and cover the stained walls. I have seen a lot of posts talking out paint peeling off of vinyl covered walls, and I don't want to make a costly mistake if I can avoid it. Also, any suggestions would be appreciated on the best way to remove and repair ceiling that has water damage and mold from a leaking roof. We also have to replace the furnace in the home, as the previous owners took it with them when they moved out. (yes, really) Any ideas on how to go about finding an affordable replacement HVAC unit? this house is on a full basement, would it make more sense to try and install a new furnace in the basement instead of in the space upstairs that the factory allowed for a furnace? I appreciate any suggestions on anything; I need help... never having owned or lived in a mobile home before, I really don't know a lot about them and what is different from a traditional stick built house. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting vinyl covered walls with smoke damage

If you use a primer called Kilz, it will cover it all up and then you can paint. Another suggestion re other things in the home such as the HVAC would be to canvass the neighbourhood and find out what differences are between your place and stick-built (plus neighbours might know more about what's gone on in your house than the RE agent is telling you).

o

I would wash the walls down well with TSP before using the primer. Also rinse. Will help to kill some of the smell too. Been there done that and I know it really helps. Wear rubber gloves.

o

Wash well first. You want paint holding only to smoke deposits? Primers can be tinted to the final color which might help in hiding and reduce the number of required coats of the finish paint.

o

FYI, for painting a tricky surface like vinyl wallcovering (or laminate cabinets & furniture) USE THE PROPER PRIMER!! Most paints/primers aren't formulated for sticking to vinyl, which is why some run into peeling problems. Your best bet is to use a primer that's designed to be a bonding primer, like Zinsser BIN or Zinsser Cover Stain. Both say they'll stick to all surfaces without sanding (though light sanding to scuff up hard-to-bond surfaces is always a good idea). Check the labels - most primers can't make that claim. Glidden Gripper primer or Sherwin Williams Adhesion primer are other good options. Kilz is a fine everyday primer, but it's not designed to be a super-adhesive bonding primer for tricky surfaces. Glad some of you have had luck using other primers, but for anyone just beginning this project, be careful and do a little research before you choose your supplies. Since you have a double-whammy of vinyl-hard-to-paint walls and smoke damage, I'd recommend Zinsser Cover Stain or another primer that can claim to stick to any surface while also sealing odors/stains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here